Chapter 49: Wake Me Up When September Ends

Start from the beginning

''Maybe she's stuck in traffic?'' He tried to comfort her.

She shrugged, slipping her hands in the pockets of her summer jacket. ''Yeah, maybe.'' But Natasha always calculated in time for traffic jams, and made sure to leave at least fifteen minutes before she had to. Again: control.

''Maya. Hey. Who are you waiting for?'' Mason's dad, Paul, must have seen her frown, because he joined their small group on the sidewalk.

''My mom.'' She shrugged again, not too worried. Natasha would realize eventually and come pick her up. ''She should have been here fifteen minutes ago, and she's never late.''

''Natasha?'' She nodded and he smiled wider, realizing he could help. ''I still have her number. Do you want me to call her?''

Not really, but what choice did she have? If he didn't, maybe she'd be waiting another half hour. ''Yes, please.''

It took surprisingly long for Natasha to pick up her phone. ''Mrs Romanoff-Petrova? It's Paul, Mason's dad. Yes. I have your daughter here waiting for you, are you stuck in traffic?'' Maya could hear through the line that Natasha got caught off guard and scrambled for an answer. ''Ah, okay, I understand. Should I take her with us, and you can pick her up from our house? Okay, I'll see you then.'' He hung up, smiling at the happy news he could give Maya. Happy news in his eyes, at least. ''She got stuck in a meeting and forgot the time, so she'll pick you up from our house later today, if that's okay with you?''

Maya opened her mouth to reply that her mom didn't have work, or meetings, but shut it quickly. Natasha wouldn't want Paul to think she forgot about her daughter. And Maya didn't really care that she had forgotten once - it happens to the best of us - but the reason why made her sad.

Undoubtedly, Natasha had gotten stuck in her worries about Katya again, and in the process, forgot about something as simple as picking up her daughter from school. Just a fuzzy mind on overdrive, worrying about things she couldn't change. 

So, Maya nodded and followed Paul to their Volkswagen, not too excited about having to socialize now that her mood had dropped. Luckily, Mason and his parents didn't notice anything, and they played with the Nintendo Switch until Natasha rushed into the house an hour later. It was obvious she left in a rush, an old hoodie on and her cheeks red, not at all how put-together and in-control she usually looked.

''I am so sorry. I lost complete track of time. It won't happen again,'' she apologized, guilt etched in her features. And Maya simply nodded in silence, already forgiven her. But she also knew someone had to intervene, to do something. Because this couldn't go on. Natasha would lose her mind if she kept going like this, trying to ignore it all. And Maya didn't want her mom to be this unhappy.

''We're doing fine.'' Maya heard her say to Tony that afternoon - who was at their home to install FRIDAY, finally. She had been on her way to the kitchen to steal something to eat and take it up to her room, when a voice coming from that exact same kitchen forced her to stop in the hallway, right around the corner.

Was it rude to eavesdrop? Yes. But she also wanted to hear how this conversation would advance.

''Then why are you dragging the kid into the city every single day, and are looking for a job, when you said you were retired and done with work?'' Tony's voice was light, but there was a worried tone underneath. 

If it were anyone else than Tony, the words might've sounded dismissive, but he was worried about his friend. Not having Katya at home was taking a toll on Natasha, even though she tried her best to hide it from everyone.

''Just trying to stay busy, is all.'' She shrugged off his question easily, like the professional liar she was, and Maya dropped her gaze to her feet, sad that she wouldn't simply admit her struggles to her friend.