Secrets

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“Right girls,” the P.E coach, Mrs Dean, called us over from our cool-down. Damia and I had participated little during the session; careful not to show up the school’s star athletes.

“Cross country next week,” Mrs Dean announced with the gleeful enthusiasm of every school slave-driver. A chorus of groans met this noticed; already I heard a few girls conspiring to be absent. But Mrs Dean was ready for them. “Anybody absent will make up the running time in regular class.”

With that announcement out of the way, she dismissed us to the changing rooms. But as Damia and I were following, Mrs Dean beckoned us.

“You girls were holding back,” she said, staring at the two of us with challenging eyes. “I’ve seen you racing out here.”

Damia and I shared an alarmed look, but Mrs Dean, oblivious, continued: “I want to see you run. Now.”

I was prepared to do just that, until I noticed the boys coming back from their own P.E. session, and panic struck. I couldn’t do this; I would have pleaded with Mrs Dean, but one look back at her and I knew I had no argument. Instead, Damia and I shared one pained look and took off.

This was different to the other times we’d raced together, as we were now being watched by at least forty boys. I determined to take it slow, to be unimpressive, but when Damia gave a sudden burst of speed – obviously eager to have it over and done with – I chose to sprint.

Now, I tried to concentrate on the burn in my legs; feel the pain of the wind whipping against my face and numbing my ears.

Nothing could distract me from the fact we were the centre of attention to a crowd of boys. Some were cheering us on; some just ogling, and some crying out my name or Damia’s. My cousin stared across at me, and we both knew that this race would have no winner.

We came to a perfect, synchronised stop in front of Mrs Dean (much to the disappointment of the boys). She stared long and hard at us for an everlasting moment, and then said.

“I want to see something more like that at cross country, girls. If you’re not among the first five to cross the finish line, I will want to know why.  Now go and get changed, or you’ll be late for your lessons.”

We arrived back at the changing rooms just as the other girls were leaving it. A couple still messed about with makeup and their skirt lengths, but otherwise the changing room was empty when we undressed and redressed.

“So I have no idea what happened between your mum and mine last night,” Damia began, approaching the subject awkwardly. There had been an uncomfortable silence between us since we’d met at school this morning. I sensed both of us wanted to discuss it, but neither of us dared.

“I got only scant details from Idra,” I returned. In hushed tones, I explained what Idra had told me.

The other girls had left by the time I’d finished, so Damia’s voice was comfortably loud when she asked.

“What did your mum have to say about it?” she avoided my gaze as she spoke, using the excuse of retying her boot laces.

“Nothing. I came back to the apartment and she’d gone to bed.” I deliberately avoided telling her about running into Turner and Sam Harrison at the restaurant – although I did have one thing to say on the matter.

“I looked through her phone,” I revealed. My cousin looked up sharply, instantly interested.

“What did you find?”