xiii: siberia

Siberia, Russia
August 2016

" such a poser."

" would you trust me to do it? "

SNOW HAD ALREADY BEGAN TO FALL AS NATASHA AND YELENA ARRIVED AT THE MASS-SECURITY PRISON. Feeling the snow settle outside of their helicopter in short bursts of frozen droplets caused the two women to shiver in their seats. Yelena could hear her sister's compressed breaths through the head-set they shared. Hesitantly, she drew a heavy sigh as she traced the condensation off of the windows with her finger.

"How are you doing over there?" Natasha asked her younger sister with a semi-concerned expression. She took her eyes off of the sky for just a moment to look at the blonde before settling her gaze back on the sights ahead.

Natasha's outright behavior to Yelena was strange to say the least. Honestly, she couldn't quite believe that the redhead forgave her sister so quickly after the fiasco at the woman's clinic. And although Yelena knows that it wasn't truly her fault, she can't help but feel partially guilty for Natasha's outright reaction.

Despite their current predicament, Yelena couldn't help but feel a little excited over the prospect of being an auntie. She already loved the little pear so much despite how hostile and indifferent Natasha spoke of it. The blond suspects that Nat is just scared and hasn't fully wrapped her head around the idea. 

Her reaction is certainly understandable too given the fact that she was considered sterile by most standards. Her serum alone without the surgeries would constitute infertility indefinitely in a woman like her. And yet...she's pregnant. That would be enough to make even the most experiences assassins start to second guess themselves.

And to say that Natasha is scared is a massive understatement. She is absolutely, undeniably terrified. Terrified of the future, terrified of her past. Terrified to tell Steve the news. Terrified to hear what he will say.

Not to mention, she is petrified of Dreykov and confronting her past. Having to fight her nightmares is one thing. Doing it alone with her most vulnerable weakness carried everywhere within her and  merely centimeters from their adversaries is not even a question.

Still, Yelena needed to come up with a response for her sister. She quirked her right eyebrow in amusement as she gave her older sister a sly little grin. In the most buttery voice she can muster, the woman gave her clever response.

"Just peachy given the fact that I was uprooted from my home by a woman I haven't seen in twenty years, dragged through a car explosion, and nearly severed my arm off by a piece of glass while falling out of an imploded vehicle."

Natasha tried to smile in response but it came out more like a grimace. Displeasure welled up in the ginger's stomach as she granted her sister with a pleading look. Yelena was starting to tick her off and although she felt responsible for the destruction in Budapest, Yelena was the one who sent the cartridges  to her.