iv: wakanda

Wakanda
May, 2016

" i don't know where i would be
without t'challa's help. "

" your friend any my father we're both victims

we're both victims. "

AS THE DAY STARTED TO DIE, STEVE ROGERS STARED OUT INTO THE EARTH FROM OUTSIDE OF THE WAKANDAN MEDICAL FACILITY. His eyes were squinted and his lips were pursed in concentration. He loved to watch the colors morph together into vibrant violets, simple salmons, and rich oranges. Although begrudgingly, Steve had to admit that the Wakandan sunset was like no other. Even better than the view for the skyscrapers in New York.

His hand itched to recreate the stunning array of colors on canvas. Still, there were far more pressing issues to deal with at the moment. In order to curb the sensation, he folded his arms across his chest and bit down on his lip. Steve could already feel the tension writhing in his muscles in the way that his jaw was clenched down.

His heart thrummed from the realization of what he had done. The aftermath of the fight in Siberia where it was revealed to Tony that Bucky had killed his parents. The betrayal and fury that Tony Stark felt at the moment far exceeded what Steve believed to be possible. Although, he can't help but feel that the anger towards him from Tony was deeply justified.

Now, Steve can't go home.

For the first time in his life, he has betrayed not only his country, but his teammates too. And boy, did he screw up. All Natasha wanted was for the team to stick together and yet, he had been the one to tear it apart.

Tears well up unwittingly in the soldier's eyes at the thought of his beloved Natasha. Is she alright? Where is she? Steve couldn't help but think that he endangered the woman further by making the rash decision to protect Bucky at all costs.

In more ways than one, he had chosen his best friend over his wife.

A feeling of dread settled in the pit of his stomach and he can't help but feel like the entire situation is his fault. The team is torn apart, half of his team is locked in a secure prison being exposed to God knows what, and Natasha is all alone with no allies. It was a terrible situation to be placed in, and Steve can't help but feel guilty for everyone's outcome.

How dare he stay in Wakandan luxury, his wounds being tended with the most advanced medical equipment, and feast on hardy foods while his team is suffering? With an aching sigh, Steve allowed his head to drop forward and his sapphire eyes to close in defeat.

"How did it come to this?" The man muttered to himself. "Gosh, everything was going so well only a few months ago."

And he's right. The team was getting along great during Steve and Nat's wedding. They laughed together, ate together, and seemingly all agreed about how to proceed with their careers. Sam, Vision, Wanda, and Rhodey had started training and were going along with it swimmingly at that point.