Chapter 14: Delicate 🌸

Start from the beginning

A tear shed from my eye and I didn't know why I was so emotional, but I nodded and engulfed my mom in a hug, "I've missed you so much, mom."

"Oh me too, honey, me too." She hugs me tight before pulling away again, "I want you to know that I got your Christmas gift a couple years back. When you left to walk back down the road to Lisa's, I made sure you were safe, I watched you walk all the way down to her house. Then I went outside and i still have the tree of life ornament."

"You do?!" I'm shocked she actually kept my gift, i remember that night because I cried hysterically in Chris's arms in his bedroom.

"Of course, sweetie, and your father also apologizes. He's away on a trip, I-I just couldn't wait for him to come back to talk to you because I-I had a dream—"

"—I'm so sorry to interrupt, do you guys want some tea? I made Y/n's favorite." Chris appears with a tray of two steaming hot teas.

Your mom smiles, as Chris hands her a cup, also handing me mine, with care. Almost as if I were a 5 year old who he was scared of burning.

"I got it, Chrissy," I tell him, smiling at how sweet he is with me.

"I-I just don't want you to get burned, oh! And make sure to blow too so you don't burn your tongue, baby." He tells me.

I nod, blowing gently as the steam disappeared before appearing again.

"What ever happened to James, mom?" I had the courage to ask.

She took one more sip of her tea before setting it on the coffee table, on top of the coaster.

My mom took a deep breath before, smiling halfheartedly, "His sister and I were the same age so I went to school with her, James was a year older than us. I remember the last time I was with him before he was sent to the military. We were by the lake behind the church, just fooling around under a tree. But the night came and he walked me home, and that was..." she wipes a tear that had fallen from her eye, "was the last time I ever saw him."

I still had a curious look on my face, so she continued to explain, "Rebecca came to tell me the news a few months after James had left for the military. During that time we'd send each other letters, but about a week before Rebecca came, he had stopped writing, and I knew when the post man said there wasn't any mail for me, I just knew..." she pressed a hand to her chest, "I knew he was gone." My curious look turned into a sorrowful one, gently rubbing my mom's back as she cried, "that whole week I had this sinking feeling, then Rebecca came and confirmed he had passed."

"I'm so sorry, mom." I felt really bad about her tragic love story. I've never seen my mom cry before. Maybe when I told her I was moving away with Chris to NYC but that was it.

"It's okay

"It's okay. It's okay, because that's why I'm here. To tell you that's it okay to love Chris, to break that toxic cycle my mom put into my head. If you want to be with Chris then be with Chris because he's the love of your life, baby." She nods at me, "it's him, I knew from the first time he stepped foot in our house, or when he hid under your bed that first time I caught you guys in your old bedroom. I knew he was trouble, but at the same time I knew you guys were meant to be and that scared me..."