Chapter 2: Days at Dear Old Shiz

Start from the beginning

"Yes... However, I do not teach my seminar every semester. Unless, of course, somebody special were to come along." she said.

"Well, exactly!" Galinda said suggestively. Elphaba knew standing with her hand raised wouldn't do any good, so she decided to speak up.

"Madame, we haven't received our room assignments." she said. 

"Oh, the governor made his concern for your sister's well being quite apparent. She will share my compartment, where I can assist her as needed." Madame Morrible said. Elphaba was confused.

"But I've always looked after my sister." she said.

"Elphaba..." Nessa said in a warning tone.

"He never mentioned you." Madame Morrible said. "Just a slight gulch, not to fret! We'll find some place to put you!"

"But, Madame-" Elphaba said nervously.

On the other side of the hall, Galinda was furious from the rejection.

"I don't think she even read my essay!" she said furiously.

"That's so unfair!" A boy cut in. "You should say something."

"Should I?" Galinda asked. She wasn't aware of the conversation happening behind her.

"Attention!" Madame Morrible called out. "Which of you young ladies will volunteer to share with Miss Elphaba?" Galinda, not having heard what Madame Morrible had just said, stepped forward and raised her hand.

"Madame Morrible?" she asked.

"Oh, thank you, dear." Madame Morrible smiled. "That is very good of you." Galinda was confused.

"What?" she asked.

"You see, Miss Elphaba? You can room with Miss Galinda!" Madame Morrible said. Galinda shrieked. Elphaba was horrified. Room with the most popular girl in school who clearly hated her? She wanted to room with Nessa!

"Madame, no! You don't understand-" 

"To your rooms, young ladies!" Madame Morrible called out, taking Nessa's wheel chair and beginning to push her away. Elphaba didn't know what to do. 

"No- no wait-" she tried to say.

"Elphaba, please. I'll be alright!" Nessa called. 

"But I promised Father-"

"Young gentlemen- to your dormitory!" Madame Morrible shouted. There was chaos everywhere and Elphaba was completely overwhelmed.

"LET HER GO!" she shouted. Nessa's wheelchair suddenly pulled itself away from Madame Morrible and wheeled back to Elphaba. The students stared at Elphaba in shock.

"How did you do that?" Madame Morrible asked. 

"How did she do that?" Glinda whispered to her friends.

"Oh, Elphaba. You promised things would be different here!" Nessa said, very embarrassed. 

"You mean this has happened before?" Madame Morrible asked.

"Well...something just comes over me sometimes. Something I- I can't describe. But I'll try to control myself." Elphaba said, afraid she was about to be sent home. She knelt down next to Nessa's wheelchair. "I'm sorry, Nessa." 

"What? Never apologize for talent!" Madame Morrible said. "Talent is a gift! And that is my special talent, encouraging talent! Have you ever considered a career in sorcery?" 

"Not really..." Elphaba said.

"I shall tutor you privately and take no other students!" Madame Morrible exclaimed.

"What!?" Galinda cried. 

"Oh, Miss Elphaba. I have waited many years to find someone with a gift like yours. Why, the wizard could even make his magic grand vizier!" Madame Morrible said.

"THE Wizard!?" Elphaba gasped. She could hardly believe it.

"My dear, I'll write to him at once! With a talent like yours, if you work hard enough, you could be great one day!" Madame Morrible headed for her office.

"But- Madame Morrible!" Galinda called out. 

"Not now, dear!" she called over her shoulder.

"Something's wrong." Galinda said shakily. "I didn't get my way." She stumbled in shock. "I need to lie down." Her friends helped her to her dorm room. With all the students gone, Elphaba was alone in the hall. 

"Did that really just happen?" Elphaba said to herself. "Could I really work with the Wizard one day?" An exciting thought came to her. What if the Wizard could make her look normal? She wouldn't have to be the green girl of Oz anymore. In an instant, a strange vision came upon her. It was like a celebration, and it was all about her. That's when Elphaba knew that all of her dreams were about to come true.