Chapter 2 Dream, Reality, or Nightmare?

Start from the beginning

Wait, what woman?

"The taijya is right. Regardless of what has happened, we should try to find some answers first."

Did Sango just call Miroku a taijya? What is going on here?

A shadow suddenly fell over her, and Kagome looked up to see a smiling, stout old man wearing priest's garb.

"Feeling better?" he inquired.

"Not really. Umm...where is Kaede-sama?"

"Kaede? I don't know of any Kaede, but my name is Sota and I'm the monk of this village."

...What?

"Ex-excuse me, but I don't think I heard you right. Did you say your name was Sota?"

"Ah yes, my dear, I did. And if you are, who I believe you are, then I am in fact your younger brother. I must say it is good to see you after all these years, Kagome nee-chan."

Oh dear lord what have I gotten myself into?!

"But my brother is only eight! And there's just no way you can be him!"

"My sister, fifty years have passed and I have grown old."

"But that's impossible! Miroku and Sango are still here! I heard them just outside!"

Sota's brow furrowed in confusion, and he asked, "How do you know of the taijya and the miko?"

"They're two of my best friends! Of course I know them! Wait, where's Inuyasha and Shippo? Oh, and why are Kikyou and Sesshomaru here?!" she blurted out frantically.

Before the man claiming to be Sota could answer, Sesshomaru stormed into the hut and walked straight towards Kagome.

"Leave us Sota," he said, his eyes never leaving Kagome.

Sota snorted. "Just because you have many questions for her does not mean you get to keep her to yourself. She is my sister if you recall."

Sesshomaru gave him a cursory glance before Sota finally sighed and got to his feet. "If you require my presence, I shall be attending to my herb garden."

After Sota left, Sesshomaru turned back to her, and what Kagome saw made her catch her breath. His eyes held so many emotions that she couldn't take them all in, but as quickly as she saw them, they vanished, and Kagome was once again starring into the cold and unfeeling eyes of the great lord of the West.

"Why?"

"Huh?" she said rather breathlessly.

"Why did you seal me to a tree? Why did you betray me?" He spoke calmly and evenly.

"What?! I've never—wait, why are you here? And where's Inuyasha?"

Sesshomaru cocked his head, and furrowed his brow in confusion. "How do you know him?"

Kagome rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Um, hello! I've only been traveling with him for who knows how long and you've tried to kill us on multiple occasions, and—"

"I have never tried to harm you."

"Oh no, spraying poison on me does not count at all, and swinging that ridiculous sword at me definitely won't endanger my life!" Kagome shouted exasperated.

Sesshomaru paused for a long moment. "You are acting strangely. Do you require more rest?"

Ok, that's enough! I'm sick of this stupid joke! I think I'll wake up now.

Kagome pinched herself hard. "Ouch!"

Sesshomaru cocked his head again and asked, "Why did you do that?"

"So I can wake up from this stupid dream! But apparently it didn't work!"

"Dream? I assure you this is no dream. You are alive and awake, Kagome."

"But that's impossible! You don't have puppy ears! You're a full-blooded daiyoukai, Sesshomaru!"

Sesshomaru's eyes slightly widened. "Kagome, I have always been hanyou. You should remember."

By now Kagome was starting to get a headache. "Please, I need to see Inuyasha."

"He is not here," Sesshomaru said flatly.

"Ugh! Then where is he then?!"

"I have not the slightest clue."

"What?! Then can I see Sango and Miroku?"

"They are here, but—"

Kagome pushed past him and out the hut. She found Sango cleaning a sword, while Miroku sharpened Hiraikotsu. Kikyou was unpacking what looked suspiciously like ramen cups from a yellow backpack that was identical to her own.

"Sango, Miroku, where is Inuyasha?"

The surprised pair looked at each other before Miroku answered, "We have not come across Sesshomaru's brother for quite some time. Why would you like to know?"

"What are you talking about? Inuyasha was just here yesterday, and it's obvious he's not with Kikyou, because she's here wearing my clothes!"

Sango and Miroku looked even more confused, but before either of them had a chance to speak, Kikyou rose to her feet and huffed, "Why would I be anywhere near that annoying youkai. And how can these clothes be yours? If anyone has stolen clothes, it is you. Why are you wearing a school uniform like mine?"

Kikyou was glaring icy daggers at her, but Sango quickly intervened. "Please Kikyou calm down. Kagome-sama, please accept our apologies. We are not aware of the circumstances at present, but I believe it is in your best interest to get some rest."

Kagome was dumbfounded. Did everyone think she had lost it?! Well, maybe she had. After all, it seemed everyone had suddenly traded places!

A sudden pat on her leg startled her out of her thoughts, and she looked down to see a mini version of Koga snarling at her. "Hey! Don't bother Kikyou, woman!"

Kagome felt dizzy. It was if she had suddenly turned into Kikyou, and she didn't like it one bit. She groaned then cupped her face in her hands and squatted on the ground. A moment later, a hand fell on her shoulder, and she looked up to see Sesshomaru, concern lingering in his cold golden eyes.

"You are troubled." He stated more as a fact than a question.

"I don't think I'm in the right place. You're all you, but you're not."

"...Kagome?"

She sighed, "I think we both have some explaining to do."