01: High School Never Ends

𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚏𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚏𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚒𝚍𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚛,
𝙱𝚎𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚖𝚊𝚜𝚔 𝚘𝚏 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚎, 𝙸 𝚍𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚕'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛.
𝙸𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎'𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚜, 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚔𝚗𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚔.
𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚊𝚏𝚎𝚝𝚢 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚋𝚋𝚒𝚗𝚐,
𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚋𝚋𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚔.

𝙸𝚌𝚎 𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝙺𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚜 — 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚋𝚋𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙳𝚊𝚛𝚔

❞𝙸𝚌𝚎 𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝙺𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚜 — 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚋𝚋𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙳𝚊𝚛𝚔

"No. That won't do," Cecilia grumbled to herself as she crossed it out. It didn't sound right to her, even imagining it in her friend, Dylan's singing voice, didn't sound right.

"Die trying or grow," Cecilia said.

"Die or grow," offered Aunt Jenna from the kitchen, as she got ready.

"Yeah, that works," said Cecilia, "Thanks Aunt Jenna." She really didn't know where she was going with that song, but it was going.

"When is Jack coming to pick you up?" asked Aunt Jenna.

Cecilia looked at a clock, "In five minutes."

"Do you have everything?" asked Aunt Jenna.

"Yes," replied Cecilia. "I have everything. I doubled check."

"Here, have some cereal bars," called Aunt Jenna, tossing an unopened box of cereal bars to Cecilia. "You can feed Jack too."

"Thank you," replied Cecilia, managing to catch the box before it could hit her in the face.

"Do you have a performance tonight?" asked Aunt Jenna.

"No, that's on Friday," replied Cecilia. "I'm going to see if the boys will perform Black Magic. It was a surprise hit."

"I thought you said that they hated it," replied Aunt Jenna.

"Alex and Dylan hate it. Jack liked it, but he only took my side because I liked it," replied Cecilia.

"I thought he has a crush on you," replied Aunt Jenna.

"I thought so too, but he said no, giving me a really unimpressed look," replied Cecilia.

"That boy...I swear," muttered Aunt Jenna.

Cecilia rolled her eyes. Jack didn't date or have sex with anyone, really. She and Jack had known each other for six years.

When they hit the party scene, Jack didn't even make out with anyone there; even looking unimpressed when girls came up to flirt with him.