19. The magician's help

Start from the beginning

"I meant Claude. You did something and now he's unresponsive!"

"Oh. Right. Do you know what a divine beast is?"

"Yes. Yes I do." Anastacius said.

"He had one. I just slayed it." She responded very simply.

"W-what?!" The blond prince had blinked "W-Why?"

"Why do you think?" She looked at him with her sharp gaze.

He was frightened by those eyes. He did remember Morgana throwing vases around her own room, throwing tantrums about his little brother. He remembered her slapping him sometimes a while back, calling him names, starving him and...well anything to make him feel down. But he never imagined she could actually harm him so gravely this way. He never actually thought she'd attack his life. Somewhere inside he wasn't surprised either.

He wasn't angry at his mother. He knew how she felt about Claude's existence. Her husband's other child who threatened her position and her own son's. But he was very scared. He didn't like what she did at all but he couldn't resent her for this. He just really hate what she did. It was very cruel.

"It is all for you." Morgana said in a very simple way.

'It is all for you.' Aeternitas had echoed back in his head.

He had left her room in some sort of disgust. When he came back he saw Felix in his childish hysterical crying state. Anastacius was surprised. Felix had seemed stoic, almost neutral, during his mother's funeral. He didn't even cry. He had a straight face the entire time. He was calm even when they burned her body. He was literally emotionless.

But now he's sobbing like an infant child because the master he was in charge of protecting fell ill.

"How is he?" The prince inquired.

"Nobody knows. It's due to his mana." Felix cried, hugging his knees. "I'm such a failure! I couldn't protect him on this and now I'm useless! I can't even do anything for him! I can't help him avoid these kinds of dangers!"

Anastacius would've hugged him but that would've been way too weird. Felix is not a 'hug person'. He's sweet and adorable but due to lack of affection as a child, he's not into physical contact such as embraces. He's more of a 'pat on the head' guy. A loyal dog who doesn't really need rewards after.

So he pat Felix on the head and entered Claude's room. Aeternitas acted up and down, begging him to kill his defenseless brother. He refused and ran to Penelope's instead. He figured she'd undoubtedly yell on him if he didn't call on her immediately.

Now he was sitting against his door, a hand on his forehead. This day sincerely disgusted him. Questions swirled in his head.. Would it have been better if he HAD did what Aeternitas asked and killed Claude? Would that have made half his problems vanish? His mother would praise him. Aeternitas would leave him alone. His father wouldn't be pleased but he wouldn't dwell on it. He'd have Penelope's attention fully once again. He'd stop receiving pressure from each of his teachers. He'd have his own reassurance that he was the only one in line to the throne. He'd be able to sleep soundly, knowing his position was secured. Would that had been better?

'YES.'

Anastacius shook his head and cracked a bitter smile. Felix would resent, hate, loathe, and detest him for life. He's the next heir to duke Robane who is a powerful pillar of Obelia. Having Felix against him wouldn't be the best option to take. Penelope too, would look at him with distaste. She really seemed to like Claude. She'd hate him. She wouldn't even look at him again. Her cousin, Roger Alpheus, was heir to the ducal house that was normally the royal family's biggest support. If Roger Alpheus turned against him, a huge part of society would immediately follow. And that was too big a risk. Not to mention Penelope's younger sister, Roselia, was cozying up one of the wealthiest marquesses of Obelia. And then Penelope and Roselia's social circles combined...And then the church surely would disapprove of fratricide.