Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?

Start from the beginning

"Anything in particular about Link?"

"Link has been dripping hints lately about transforming back into one of us, and the thought of that has me excited!" said Mipha. "It would be perfect for us. Link is the same brave, kind, and loving person as a Zora, of course, but even more handsome! And we can do so much more together. We could travel, explore undersea locations, spend time underwater, and..., well, anyway, our lives together would be even happier if he did that."

Then Mipha paused.

"What is it, dear?" said King Dorephan.

"It's just that at the same time, I don't want to be selfish or unfair. I don't want Link to do something he may regret or just to make me happy. So, I have hidden my enthusiasm from him. I don't want him to know how much I want him to want to do it because he wants to do it, not because I want him to want to do it."

King Dorephan burst out laughing.

"Forgive me, dear, I know this is very serious to you, but your last sentence was rather overflowing with 'wants.' My only advice for you both is something you will laugh at because it's what you always tell me: follow your hearts and don't overthink it."

"I can't argue with that, Father, though I'm still unsure what to do," said Mipha.

"You need to open up to each other and honestly share your feelings," continued King Dorephan. "It's no harm that one reason Link would wish to become a Zora is to make you happy. Anyone can see how much he loves you. But I also think he knows he will be happier too. So, he would be doing it for both of you. "

"Yes, I agree. But when I think about our relationship, I have no desire to become a Hylian. And that makes me wonder if there is some difference in our feelings toward each other. Does Link love me more than I love him? I never thought so."

"No, no, it doesn't mean that," said King Dorephan. "You're overthinking it again, sweetheart. If I had to guess, it's because you changing into a Hylian doesn't deepen or enhance your relationship in the same way Link changing into a Zora would. Link changing into one of us opens our water world to him. But we already share his world of land just as we are. And besides..."

King Dorephan stopped himself just in time. He was about to mention the limited Hylian lifespan issue but remembered how sensitive Mipha was to that topic. So instead, he surfaced something else.

"And besides, you have a responsibility to lead our people someday as a Zora, and I'm sure that affects your thinking, dear."

"Perhaps, Father," sighed Mipha. "But I still feel unsettled about it. As you know, Link transformed into a Zora before but then changed back. So, I'm not sure what he will decide. The main thing is I want it to be his decision. But you won't say anything to Link, will you? About this, I mean."

"I'll be as silent as a clam," said King Dorephan. "Where is Link, by the way? He usually attends our meetings."

"He said after breakfast that he needed to go for a walk," said Mipha, pulling out her Tab. "He must have suspected how dull today's council meeting would be. The rest of the family is away or busy: Tara and family are in North Hyrule for Tara's classes, and the others are all working."

Her Tab showed Link was on the recently built pier at Spool Bight.

"I see Link is by the Spool Bight port for some reason," said Mipha. "I should join him. Thank you for the advice, Father."

King Dorephan and Mipha embraced, then Mipha began making her way to Spool Bight by way of East Reservoir Lake. She Tabbed Sidon that she was okay. And as she traveled there, she recalled her discussion with Link the first time he considered transforming into a Zora to fight an underwater Ganon blight. At that time, she had been the one fearful of losing what they had, and Link was the optimist about their future. They slept in Ruta that night, then discussed Link's decision to transform to a Zora the following morning.