Oh, The Unexpected Return.

Burdened by guilt, Fredrick grappled with the weight of his father's tarnished reputation, a stain for which he held himself accountable. Reluctantly acquiescing to his father's ultimatum, he agreed to the marriage with Princess Adelaide, albeit with a heavy heart. In hindsight, he realized he should have refused from the outset, sparing both kingdoms the embarrassment of his flight from the altar. Aware of the turmoil he had caused, Fredrick's conscience drove him to return, even as he journeyed halfway to Adorea.

Uncertain of his family's reception, Fredrick's resolve remained unwavering. Whether they welcomed him or not, he vowed to extend a personal apology to King Taylor and Adelaide, acknowledging the pain his actions had inflicted. Despite his fervent love for Portia, he recognized the paramount importance of his royal duty, relegating his personal desires to the sidelines.

For Fredrick, this marriage was not born of affection but of political necessity. His mother's words echoed in his mind, a sobering reminder of the stark realities of rulership – a realm where emotion yielded to pragmatism.

Fredrick grappled with the guilt of hurting Portia, knowing that his agreement to marry Adelaide had inflicted yet another wound upon her. Aware of Adelaide's obliviousness to the dangers lurking around her, he harbored a flicker of hope that she would understand the circumstances and forgive him, accepting their arranged marriage for what it was – an imposition imposed upon them both.

Returning to Lovaria after three tumultuous days, Fredrick braced himself for a harsh reception, expecting the repercussions of his actions to reverberate through the kingdom. However, he was met with an unsettlingly subdued atmosphere, marked by a state of celebration that left him bewildered. Determined to confront his father and face the consequences of his decisions, he was led through the streets by his retinue of soldiers, acutely aware of the curious gazes following his every move. It seemed that his father's humiliation had become public knowledge, and Fredrick steeled himself for the inevitable backlash that awaited him.

Adelaide made a deliberate choice to retreat to her castle, seeking solace within its familiar walls as she grappled with the impending departure from her homeland. With time ticking away, she yearned for respite from the oppressive scrutiny of her husband's gaze. As she traversed the corridors, the servants she encountered offered deferential bows, their admiration for her newfound marital radiance evident in their eyes. Adelaide suppressed the urge to scoff at their superficial observations, her inner turmoil far outweighing any semblance of outward "glow."

Arriving at her room, a wave of melancholy washed over her as she beheld the scene unfolding within. The diligent servants diligently packed her belongings – her treasured books, handcrafted scented candles, cherished garments, jewelry, and shoes – each item a poignant reminder of the life she was preparing to leave behind. With a heavy heart, Adelaide watched as her possessions were meticulously packed away, each movement a painful testament to the impending upheaval awaiting her.

Briar, the stalwart matriarch of the castle's staff, exuded an air of both authority and affection. Despite her no-nonsense demeanor, her love for those under her care was unwavering. Having served since Adelaide's birth, she had witnessed the princess through both joyous and trying times, imparting invaluable lessons along the way.

"Melina, my dear, we must hasten our pace. There's much to prepare before the gala," Briar's firm yet gentle voice rang out as she deftly folded Adelaide's garments, her humming adding a soothing cadence to the bustling activity. Melina, catching Briar's cue, nodded in understanding and quickened her movements, the urgency of the task at hand evident in her demeanor.

As Melina stole a glance towards the door, her gaze alighted upon Adelaide, her presence eliciting a mixture of reverence and delight. With an involuntary gasp, Melina's features softened into a grin, her words a blend of awe and respect. "Princess Adelaide," she exclaimed, her voice tinged with reverence as she bowed her head in deference.