Oh, The Horrid Request.

Start from the beginning

As King Wildingham nodded, he dismissed the other men from the room. Gerald and Zachary exited, their departure signaling the beginning of their journey back to Adorea. Gerald sighed heavily, anticipating the lengthy trip ahead. Zachary, still reeling from Prince Fredrick's abrupt departure, broached the subject with a question.

"Doesn't it bother you even a little that your brother left a girl behind, breaking his promise to marry her?" Zachary inquired, his concern evident in his tone. Gerald turned to his friend, his expression steely.

"Let me set the record straight, Zachary. Fredrick never promised to marry this unknown princess. He was coerced into the marriage against his will," Gerald clarified, his frustration palpable.

Zachary Blackwood, a devoted friend to Prince Gerald, supports him in all aspects of his life, yet harbors reservations about the prince's treatment of women. Zachary, raised without a mother, deeply respects women and often tries to dissuade his friends from his ungenerous behavior towards them. Despite his efforts, Gerald remains stubborn, disregarding Zachary's counsel. Understanding the futility of his words, Zachary shakes his head and departs.

Gerald watches Zachary's departure, his thoughts lingering on his friend's disapproval. Outside the church, he waits with hands clasped behind his back, anticipating his father's emergence. Darwin Blackwood, Zachary's father and head of palace security, approaches, noting Zachary's demeanor. Sensing Gerald's frustration, Darwin offers a sympathetic ear, "Zachary seemed troubled." Though Blackwoods are akin to family, Gerald brushes off Zachary's concerns, "He was just been unreasonable," prompting a solemn nod from Darwin.

After a brief interlude, King Wildingham emerged from the closed doors. Darwin, observing the scene, greeted both monarchs with a respectful bow. "King Wildingham," he acknowledged, then turned to King Redmond of Lovaria, offering another bow. Both kings reciprocated the gesture.

Turning to his son, King Wildingham exhaled deeply, his expression somber. "Son, we need to talk," he began, his voice weighted with concern. "In private," he added, gesturing for Gerald to follow him back into the room. As they entered, King Redmond exited, leaving them alone.

Facing the window, King Wildingham hesitated before speaking. "What's troubling you, Father?" Gerald inquired, his tone tinged with apprehension.

The king turned to face his son, his features drawn with disappointment. "I had high hopes for Fredrick. I never expected him to betray me like this," he confessed.

Gerald, feeling compelled to defend his brother, interjected, "He didn't betray you, Father."

However, King Wildingham silenced him with a gentle gesture. "I'm not finished, my son," he continued, his tone calm but resolute. "I know you and your mother opposed my decision for Fredrick to marry Princess Adelaide," he acknowledged, his gaze searching his son's face for understanding.

Prince Gerald could no longer contain himself. "I'm sorry to interject, father, but you forced Fredrick into this marriage. Naturally, Mother and I were furious—why wouldn't we be?" he asserted, his frustration evident in his tone. The king averted his gaze, his voice softening. "I had my reasons, son," he murmured, his eyes fixed on the distant horizon. "Fredrick knew them. He agreed to the terms of this marriage."

"He's let me down. As the King of Adorea, I'm utterly embarrassed by his actions," the king confessed, his head bowed in shame. Gerald, taken aback by his father's rare display of vulnerability, felt a pang of guilt wash over him. His father was known for his unwavering resolve and stoic demeanor, making this moment all the more unsettling.

As the king lifted his head to meet his son's gaze, Gerald braced himself for what was to come. He sensed that his father's next request would likely evoke anger and revulsion, yet he remained attentive. "As your father and your king, I must ask you for a favor," the king declared.

Gerald furrowed his brow, his expression serious. "What is it, father?" he inquired, prepared to heed his father's call, despite the apprehension brewing within him.

The king took a deep breath, his words heavy with solemnity. "Marry the Princess, Gerald," he implored his son, who found himself at a loss for words, stunned by his father's unexpected request.

Meanwhile, in the quiet confines of Adelaide's chamber at the Redmond palace, a palpable sense of despair hung in the air. With Prince Fredrick's departure, the room fell into a heavy silence. Queen Mary, overcome with sorrow, covered her mouth as tears streamed down her face. Her precious daughter had been abandoned on the day of her wedding. Though Queen Jane may have harbored reservations about the marriage, she couldn't help but feel sympathy for the princess. Princess Sophia sat beside Adelaide, offering words of comfort as Adelaide sat numbly on the bed, tears silently tracing her cheeks.

Adelaide struggled to comprehend her mother's words. How could he abandon her, after being the one to seek her hand? How could he betray the love he professed? She grappled with disbelief, unable to reconcile his actions with the tender poems and promises he had once showered upon her. Thousands of questions swirled in her mind, demanding answers she longed to hear from Fredrick. How could he shatter her dreams and hopes so callously? How could he be so heartless?

Queen Mary approached her grieving daughter, offering solace in her touch. Adelaide turned to her mother, her anguish spilling over as tears streamed down her cheeks. "How could he do this to me, mother? What did I do to deserve this?" she cried, seeking comfort in her mother's embrace. Queen Mary held her daughter close, her own tears mingling with Adelaide's. "Hush, my daughter," she whispered softly, offering what little solace she could in the face of such betrayal.

Queen Jane observed Adelaide closely, perplexed by the young princess's distress. What promises could Fredrick have made to her? Surely it was King Davis who coerced his son into such commitments. Sensing her daughter's unease, Sophia motioned for her mother to join her outside the room.

As they stepped into the hallway, Sophia wasted no time in seeking clarity. "What's happening, mother?" she inquired, her concern evident in her voice. Queen Jane sighed heavily, her expression strained.

"Fredrick left," she revealed tersely.

Sophia's brow furrowed in suspicion. "Mother, did you have a hand in this?" she pressed, searching for answers amidst the turmoil.

Queen Jane's demeanor remained composed, despite the accusation. She met her daughter's gaze with a steely resolve. "Blame your father, who forced your brother into this situation," she retorted, gesturing toward the closed door with a pointed finger.

Sophia's heart weighed heavy with knowledge, burdened by the secrets shared between her father and Fredrick. Tears welled in her eyes as she confronted her mother. "Don't you understand the danger Adelaide faces?" she implored, her voice laced with urgency. "He could end her life!" Sophia's words carried a harsh whisper, ensuring their conversation remained private.

Queen Jane met her daughter's gaze, her own expression fraught with concern. She recognized the gravity of Sophia's fears, the weight of unspoken truths pressing down upon them. Attempting to assuage her daughter's worries, the queen began to speak, but Sophia cut her off.

"It's exactly the same, mother," Sophia insisted, her voice trembling with emotion. "He took my husband's life. Who's to say he won't do worse to her?" Tears streamed down Sophia's cheeks, bearing witness to the depths of her anguish.