CHAPTER 44

He thought it was impressive that she had endured it for so long.

Certainly, she was pretty.

Was it because of her unusual eye color?

Indeed, she was memorable. Perhaps… ….

“Chief.”

“Yes!”

Cool green eyes startled him out of his thoughts.

Confronted with a gaze that resembled a wild beast at night, Jules stopped breathing and got goosebumps.

The Count was an odd person for an esteemed aristocrat, but Jules couldn’t put his finger on why—besides, now wasn’t the time to wonder— the Count watched him for an eerily long time.

Jules’ spine grew cold. Just when he was about to break down and asked why he was being glared at, the Count gave him a welcomed declaration.

He said he would go to the founding day in person.

Even after Jules bowed and said his farewell the Count’s eyes followed him.

Jules returned to the palace, rubbing the goosebumps on his arms.

However, Princess Julia, for some reason, was more concerned with something else other than the Count’s message.

It was that maid.

“That dark-haired girl. Is she still with him?”

Of course, she was talking about Shada.

Jules immediately responded that he had not seen any sign of her.

But the princess was not satisfied.

“Where would she be hiding? She must have snared him in.”

The princess, nervously arguing about what a lowly, ignorant girl might have done, stepped on the hand of the maid who was washing her feet and kicked the silver basin, saying the water temperature was unpleasant.

Jules watched the confused and drenched maids mopping the floor, looked around, and asked,

“How are you so sure? The Count is not interested in women…….”

Perhaps something else happened, but he had heard no talk or rumors about the Count being promiscuous or being amongst the group of men who flirted with maids.

Princess Julia, who was biting her nails, confessed something unexpected,

“His eyes.”

“Yes?”

“I saw the eyes that Huey had for her. Is that the glaze you give a maid?”

She had never seen the Count look at her like that before.

She felt like she was going crazy with anger and jealousy.

The deep eyes that flickered subtly as if on fire profoundly below belonged to a man.

She didn’t see it erroneously.

After that, his subtle demeanor had been annoying.

In fact, it was nothing, but everything bothered her.

It happened after the black-haired foot maid followed him.

In addition, Princess Julia, by happenstance, recalled an old memory.

When they had been newly engaged, while the Count escorted her for a walk around the palace, he often watched the water flowing down the canal as they walked along the artificial stream.