Part 6

Thank you all so much for all the love so quickly! I was originally going to just do five chapters but I have a few more ideas for little Bruno scenes so here we are!

~~~~

Bruno's POV

"Dad!" I turned at the sound of my daughters voice. I was just walking through the Casita, on my way to my room, after dinner when she approached me.

"Sí, Mija?" I said as she reached me. She had her hands behind her back, hiding something. "What's up kid?"

"Well, I've been making some things for people recently. I helped Isa spice up her dress a little, I added some personality to Luisa's skirt, ya-know that kinda stuff. So, I figured, now that you're officially back in the house, why not make you... this!" She showed what she was holding. It was a mound of green fabric.

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

"Hold it up!" I did what she said and took the fabric from her, holding it out in front of me. It was a new poncho, similar to my old one. Only this had tons of embroidery stitched to it. Small rats and an hour glass in pretty colors. I smiled as I looked at it, the bright colors making me happy.

"I got the poncho from a store in town, and used the embroidery kit you gave me when I was little. Do you like it?" She asked, worried I wouldn't.

"I love it Mirabel!" I saw her smile wider.

"Oh! And look!" She moved me slightly so the poncho was in front of both of us and pointed to the shoulder, near the neck line. Her finger reached a pair of green glasses stitched there. "To remind you of me! Antonio told me to do that one."

"It's beautiful, amor." I hugged her."Thank you." I felt her embrace me as well.

"Of course, Papa."

This next one isn't really related to Papa Bruno, but I needed an excuse to write it so here we are lol (p.s. I'm sorry in advance.) (p.s.s. I finished writing it. I'm really sorry...)

Mirabels POV

"MIRABEL!!!" I shot up from bed and scrambled to get on my glasses. As my eyes adjusted, I saw Dad standing there. He looked worried... and sad.

"What?! Is everything okay?!" I yelled and stood, walking over to him. As soon as I did, he grabbed my hand and started leading me through the house.

"No. It's Abuela." My eyes widened as I put it together.

He took me to Abuelas room and everyone was already there, surrounding her bed. Most were crying, Julietta and Pepa were by her side and Pepa was holding her hand.

"What happened!?" I asked, frozen. Papa put his hand on my back and slowly led me closer. I was now standing next to Isabela, who had tears falling down her cheeks. Without taking my eyes off of Abuela, I grabbed Isa's hand and held it. I think she looked at me, but I couldn't tell.

We were all silent except for the occasional desperate breath of air between someone's quiet sobs.

"Mirabel..." Abuela whispered. Everyone looked at me. Slowly, I walked towards her, not paying attention to the others.

"Abuelita..." I said, tears falling more steadily out of my eyes. "No..." I looked down, bet felt her hand go to my cheek and raise my face to look at her again.

"I'm- placing you in charge of the- miracle." She said, pausing for short breaths every few words. Under normal circumstances, I would have been overwhelmed by the sudden amount of extreme pressure. But now...

"No. No- you- you- please-"

"Shh, Shh. I believe- this was the reason- you didn't get a gift, Mirabel. I believe- you were meant to be the next- watcher of the miracle... I'm- sorry I didn't realize sooner..."

"No- Abuela- don't say that!.. A-Abuela? No- no no no-"

"Mama?!" Julietta's arm was now around my shoulder, lightly moving me. I complied and moved back. There was no response from her. "Mama?!?" Silence. Tia's face went blank. "She's gone..."

I heard Pepa gasp sharply, then Felix was at her side. She curled into him. Dolores covered her mouth and moved to lean into Camillo's shoulder. Antonio was clinging to Camillos leg, terrified. He probably didn't even know what was happening. Luisa, Isa, and Augustin we're together now as well, next to Julietta.

I turned to my father. His face was shocked, like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. A tear streaked down his face and his hands were shaking. I walked over to him, he didn't look at me, and grabbed his hand. His face quivered as more tears fell and gripped my hand tightly.

This broke me.

Here we were. The two exiled members of our family, only recently excepted, crying over the one who hurt us- sobbing, over her.

I turned and wrapped my arms around him. He embraced me back as I hid my face in the shoulder of his poncho.

"I'm so sorry, Papa." I whispered quietly, only he and Dolores would be able to hear it, but I don't think she was paying much attention to me.

Papa didn't say anything. He just stayed silent and cried.

A little while later...

Soon, we all worked up the courage to leave Abuelas room. Sunlight was softly peaking through the windows of the Casita. It was already the next day...

A few of us stayed together, but most went to our separate rooms. Tia Pepa and Julietta said that we should all stay home for today, no one going to town. Except to announce the death...

Papa still hadn't said much. Once we all shuffled out of Abuela's room, he kissed my head and went to his own, silently.

When I entered the nursery, I wasn't sure what to do. I already knew I wouldn't be able to take a nap to get some sleep, but still, I tried anyway. I ended up staring blankly at the ceiling. That is until I heard another knock at my door.

I got up to answer it and no one was there, until I looked down. Antonio was standing in my doorway. He didn't even have any animals with him, except the one I made him.

"Mirabel?" He asked quietly. I was about to answer, but figured out what he was about to ask and brought him inside, closing the door behind us. Dolores would be the only one who could hear us from a room, and hers is sound proof, but still, anyone could walk by. Antonio didn't object.

"Yes?" I brought him to my bed to sit next to me.

"What happened to Abuela..? Why is everyone so sad?" I sighed shakily.

"Bud... um... Abuela died."

"What do you mean?"

"You know how Abuelo Pedro went to heaven?"

"Yeah... Abuela talks about it."

"Well, she went there too."

"Can we go? To visit them?"

"No, not for a really long time. Like- a really long time."

"Well why not?"

"One day, buddy, you'll understand, I promise." He looked down at the floor. I put my hand on the side of his face. "You okay?"

"...Everyone was so sad..." He started tearing up.

"I know," I pulled him towards me and he curled himself into me. "I know bud, it was scary for me too, for everyone. But we'll get through this, together, as a family."