"I'm not nearly as unpleasant as Adrien," I said with a scoff. "Please."  

"Thank you, sweetheart," Adrien said to me. "I was waiting to hear that."  

This day was beginning to feel surreal. I'd been looking over my shoulder for the past two weeks so much I was afraid that if I let my guard down, something really, completely horrible was going to happen. To me, to Adrien, to the literally anybody.   

It had only been one day since Snakes showed up in my chemistry class and I hadn't seen hide nor hair of anything that even remotely resembled that man. Colt's threat must have been enough to make him back off.   

But as much as I was hoping I was never going to see Snakes again, there was this small, nagging thought in the back of my mind that this wasn't over yet.  

It was Wednesday. I just had to make it to Saturday, and then everything that had been stalking me since early December would disappear.  

Actually hanging out with Zoé and Adrien and joking and laughing was nice, sure. But it still didn't stop me from internally freaking out.  

Colt was right. I sure hoped I knew what I was doing, dating Adrien. So far everything was going alright, but I was well aware of how easily that could change. 

The apartment was empty when I let myself in later that afternoon after school. I wasn't so sure if I was upset by that or not.  

I tossed my bag onto the couch and wandered into the kitchen, intent on making a cup of tea. I didn't really feel like doing any of my homework.  

I grabbed a teacup out of the cupboard and my favorite bag of tea and set about making my tea. I'd just added hot water when I heard a soft rustling noise behind me, almost like a light breeze.

I glanced over my shoulder and saw Colt seated at the dining table, lounged back in a chair with his arms crossed.  

"I'm surprised," He said. "You didn't scream."  

I shrugged, blowing on my tea before taking a sip. "I'm kind of used to your comings and goings by now."  

Colt cracked a half smile. "Good to know. I'll try harder to scare you in the future."  

I took a seat at the table across from him and set my tea down in front of me. "Why are you here, Colt?"  

He blew out a sigh and leaned forward, drumming his fingers on the table. "You probably want an explanation, don't you?"  

"About what?" I asked.  

"About my interveining," He elaborated. "About my mother and brother."  

I was shocked to hear those words coming out of his mouth. "You don't have to tell me that, if you don't want to," I said slowly, clearing my throat. "That's something personal."  

Colt shook his head, running a hand through his hair. "No, I think you should know about them."  

"Well then, who were they?" I finally asked, taking a sip of my tea.  

Colt stuck a hand in the pocket of his jacket and came up with a small locket attached to a very old, golden chain, and then a crumbled up picture.

He tossed them to me and I caught them with my left hand before it could hit the table. I traced my fingers over the pattern of flowers on the locket and a few pieces of rust chipped off into my hand.