- 2 -

The next couple days are pretty lackluster

The next couple days are pretty lackluster. Topper takes you to the beach one day, and laughs in your face when you ask him to teach you to surf after watching a couple people that look to be your age riding waves. "Kooks don't surf," he had said with a shake of his head. Another day, he gave you a tour of the island, showing you all the important spots and highlights of the place. The class divide was clear; the poorer side of the island stood out next to Figure Eight like a sore thumb.

Wednesday morning rolls around, and you and Topper are sitting next to each other at the kitchen island as he's texting on his phone. He lets out a frustrated groan and drops his phone to the countertop with a clatter. You raise an eyebrow at him questioningly.

"Mikey just cancelled on us for golf this morning," he says, running his hands over his face. "And we need a quad to keep our tee time. There's a cancellation fee that I don't want to pay."

"Why can't you golf with three? I don't get it," you say, getting up to take your cereal bowl to the sink.

"We can, but I'm not walking eighteen holes and carrying my own clubs. The quad reservation gets you a cart." He sighs and looks down at his phone again. "Wait, do you have plans today?"

You give him a look. "I've never golfed a day in my life and I don't plan on starting."

"You don't have to! We just need a fourth person to get the cart. Come on, please? Kelce will be there, and you guys got along pretty well. You can just chill on the cart and talk to me and him. I'll let you drive."

"But—"

"Oh, and don't worry about Rafe. You can just ignore him. Come on, do me a solid so I can keep the reservation."

Of course, Rafe was in on the plans to golf. You'd nearly forgotten. You weren't totally opposed to the idea of being able to stare at him for a few hours. While it seemed to be an unspoken rule that you were supposed to stay away from him, just looking at him a little wouldn't hurt, right?

"Is Sarah home? I'll need to borrow some clothes to look the part," you reply, and that's all Topper needs as confirmation that you'll go.

"Yeah, I'll text her now."

~

An hour later, you're dressed in Sarah's clothes: a fitted, sleeveless polo, a much shorter than you imagined skirt, a visor, and simple white sneakers. If you didn't know any better, you'd say you looked like someone who'd been golfing all her life.

You, Topper, and Sarah are standing in the Cameron's foyer chatting as Rafe comes down the stairs dressed similarly to Topper in a collared shirt and above the knee khaki shorts. He looked so preppy, and not like he did the other night. He raises his eyebrows at the sight of you.

"Ah, mystery girl again. Are you our fourth since Mikey bailed?" he asks as he joins you at the foot of the stairs.

"Yes. Not golfing though. Just driving the cart and filling out the quad," you explain.