Chapter 25: Next Step

Start from the beginning

   "Now, are you going to answer the question? Which will it be, I wonder?" I went back and sat down, questioning them with a smug smile that could rival a certain smug loli just to rub salt on their wounds.

   A couple seconds of silence became longer as they waited for a response. Though most didn't care anymore, conversing once again.

   "But what if there's more to this and there's more to this than meets the eye?" Kanzaki out of nowhere gave his insight on the situation.

   Ichinose was surprised by this as Kanzaki isn't the type to take the spotlight. Kanzaki isn't the same as before, now he has resolved to step up as the leader of Class B even if he has to be in the spotlight, whether he likes it or not.

   "Really, what could that be?" Kushida curiously asked.

   "Yes, what could that mean?" Kanzaki shrugged his shoulders.

   "Huh?

   "What he means is: figure it out yourselves." I answered instead of Kanzaki.

   "Are you telling me we're supposed to figure something that isn't even true?" Matoba had an expression signifying he wasn't having the best time.

   "You still haven't answered my previous question."

   "..."

   "That's what I thought."

   That was easier than expected. Eh, if they listen I don't need to bother with them anymore. I sometimes questioned why some of these students are in Class A. I don't even have the energy to come up with a theory, maybe later.

   "There could be the possibility that it indeed is true." Horikita said.

   People were now even more tense than before. I guess I did a good job. Anyways, Ichinose noticed this and did something about this like she always does.

   "Well, this is the second time we've gathered like this. Don't you think we should start having more open, honest conversations? We'll only meet so many times." reasoned Ichinose.

   "Well then, have you decided how to find the VIP?" Ryūen asked to which Ichinose shook her head.

   "That's too bad. I wanted to get your opinion. However, it looks like you haven't made any progress at all in your search."

   "Does that mean..." Kushida quietly muttered to herself.

   "That's an interesting thing to say." said Kanzaki.

   "Do you perhaps know who the VIP is, Ryūen-kun?" Hirata nicely inquired.

   "I've already started to discover the VIP's identity. Would you believe me if I told you that?"

   "No, I can't imagine you having reliable information." countered Horikita.

   "Unfortunately for you, I've already gotten a handle on the fundamentals of this test. Depending on how things go, Class C will win by an overwhelming majority."

   Ryūen's bold declaration left everyone in the room speechless. What he was saying was probably correct. The school always created tests with fundamental laws or rules at their core. That was true for our midterms, final exams, and even the tests on the island. If you understood the logic behind those rules, it would be possible to win. This test was definitely no different which Ryūen must have noticed.

   "That's natural, as the leader of Class C you should know the identity of each of the VIP's in your class." I said.

   "I see. But are they going to answer honestly? If the school has a rule that guarantees your anonymity, all they have to do is lie and gain 500,000 points, right?" Horikita, still having doubts, asked.