My heart started pounding against my chest at his words and I was hesitant to look him in the eye. I had rarely ever heard Adrien be so open before, even in a jestful manner. The only time he'd ever been open to sharing with me was probably that one time he told me about his dad in this very park.  

But was I really that confusing? 

I took a deep breath and glanced up at Adrien. His gaze was directed on something across the park and everything about his face was serious; the look in his eyes, his locked jaw, the way his lips were pressed together.  

I don't know what made me reach out and grab his hand, but that's what I did a second later. Adrien jerked in surprise and flinched away from my touch. I winced out of embarrassment and immediately started mentally berating myself. How stupid was that? 

But then it was my turn to jump in suprise when Adrien's fingers laced through mine. His hand was loose around my own, like he was afraid to touch me. For that moment, though, I didn't really mind it.  

I desperately wanted to ask him if he was alright, if there was anything I could do to help him. However, I'd learned from past experiences that totally wasn't a smart thing to do. If Adrien was going to tell me what he was thinking or feeling, he'd have to do it on his own. 

The thing was? I don't think I had the time to wait for that.    

Adrien pulled himself up to his feet a few minutes later and helped me up next. I grabbed my school bag off the ground and tossed it over my shoulder.

I turned to ask Adrien what was going to happen next, but he beat me to the punch.

"What happened to your head?" He asked, a frown creasing his features. 

My hand immediately flew to the shallow cut above my right eye and I gave a sheepish smile. "A book fell off one of the shelves in the library and hit me on the head."  

He stared at me in amazement. "You are such a clutz."

I laughed awkwardly, trying to make it seem like I was agreeing with him. This was hardly the case.  

That book falling off that shelf, hitting me on the head, was no accident and this definitely wasn't paranoia on my part. It took me probably a good half hour of thinking before I finally realized the relation between that stupid law book and the new game Snakes seemed fond of playing.  

What had Adrien told me when he found me after school yesterday? He'd told me that he was afraid to go home. Why won't he tell someone that can actually help with the situation? Something about this didn't add up. There had to be more going on underneath the surface than anybody else was aware of.  

And this was no coincidence. Snakes was trying to tell me something and the message had definitely been received.  

"Do you think Charlene is awake?" I asked Adrien, lost in thought.

"Yes," Adrien answered slowly. "The salon she works at opens at seven, why?"  

"I need to talk to her." I said. 

That was the only explanation I gave before I turned on my heel and made my way for the nearest bus stop. Adrien followed suit, hot on my heels.

"Marinette, what's going on?" 

"I need to talk to your aunt," I repeated. "About your dad."

Adrien reached out and yanked my hand back as I went to stand by the bus stop bench. He spun me around, gripping my shoulders tightly, digging his fingernails into my jacket.