Chapter 15 - Key to the City

"Bennett?"

Bennett could hear someone calling his name. He slightly opened his eyes to see a shadowy figure standing over him. His eyes still blurred somewhat, and his head hurt as he moved it.

"Bennett, you're alright, man, you're going to be fine," The voice assured him confidently. They moved to help him up, and Bennett couldn't do anything but lean on them for support.

Eventually, his vision cleared, and the blurry figure came into focus. Concerned grey eyes looked back at him.

Dominic?

Bennett backed up from him, pushing him away as he scrambled for his gun.

Dominic had always been a strong suspect of being Nicotine, and with him here, there was more than plenty of evidence to point to him being the leader of the Lost Boys.

"Relax, Bennett, he's with us," Another voice rang out.

Bennett looked to his left and saw Tessa. She grunted as she helped Declan lean on her. He looked down to see he had landed on some sort of inflatable mattress or airbag.

"We need to get going, Bennett," Dominic moved towards him, his voice low and urgent. Bennett realised he's never seen Dominic look so serious before.

"I can't," Bennett replied hoarsely. He pushed away any attempt of help.

"Come on, Bent," Declan reasoned. "Jordan and Arya have already gone ahead to find the car."

"I can't leave without Davina," He cut off. He attempted to stand on his own feet when a sharp pain seared through his leg. Looking down, he noticed his left ankle was red and swollen.

"Bennett, she'll be fine. I'll stay back for her. You guys are the ones who need to get out of here," Dominic assured him.

Bennett refused to leave her alone in a building. He couldn't go when he knew she wasn't safe yet.

"We can't just leave her with them," He hissed at them.

"If we all stay here with you guys, we'll blow her cover," Tessa explained to him quickly.

Arya had rejoined the group. "Come on, Bennett. Let me help you,"

"No, I'm not going,"

"Bennett, it's okay," Dominic guaranteed him of Davina's safety.

"But-"

"Now, Bent!"

Arya went to hook her arm around his waist, having him lean on her as they hobbled away with Declan and Tessa.

The girls loaded the guys into the back of Tessa's Maserati, conveniently missing the license plate.

The drive was silent.

They reached the girls' house a half-hour later. The girls explained how they all lived together in this suburban townhouse that Tessa had bought out for the time being.

Everyone was exhausted by the time they had reached the front door. Tessa struggled slightly before heaving open the door and switching on the light to reveal an open plan living room.

The boys paused in their suffering as they took in their surroundings. A grand piano took up one side of the room, with the centre of the room being focused on the tv and the couches set in front of it. The other side of the space consists of a long wooden table fit for about eight people. The stairs were on the opposite wall to the tv, leading to more rooms upstairs. The colour palette used was light greys/beiges with a light oak wood theme running across the entire room.