Chapter 9 - Family is Power

I'm going to be late. Davina thought to herself. She tapped her steering wheel to a beat, humming quietly to herself.

She was at a red light, the lane next to hers free. She didn't care to be honest about being late. It was only school. After the others had left her in the morning, she had to drag herself out of bed... after she fell out of it.

She took her sweet time getting ready for school, even going as far as picking up a Starbucks drink on the way there. If you're going to be late, you might as well make it worth it. The first period could wait.

A car had stopped next to hers, and Davina couldn't help but do a double-take. It was a sleek top of range McLaren 570GT. She could hear the purr of the engine of a mile. It was sitting pretty in the April sun right next to her, and Davina couldn't take her eyes off it. As if noticing her stare, the driver rolled down their window, and Davina did another double-take.

Bennett.

Of course, pretty boy would have this car. She'd seen him drive around in different makes and models, but she'd never seen him drive something so flashy before. She also wondered why he wasn't already in school.

Bennett gave her a small smile, an idea bubbling up in his head. He turned to her pointedly as she tried her best not to gape at him and revved his engine.

Davina furrowed her eyebrows in confusion before realisation settled onto her face. She nodded at him briefly, flashing a smirk his way before facing the front and revving her engine.

Oh, it was on.

The cars raced down the carriageway, swerving in and out of the traffic ahead, barely registering the shocked faces of the other road users. They were neck a neck, only briefly overtaking before falling back. Their cars swerved right in time for a sharp turn, cutting off oncoming vehicles. This was dangerous, this was reckless, but this was fun.

The adrenaline fuelled Bennett's reckless behaviour, and he fought a smile as they drifted in sync. He couldn't deny how impressive Davina was; not only did she match his wits, but also his speed and skill. Now he knew where Estelle inherited her recklessness and love for cars. He couldn't wait to teach her how to drive.

He just had to win this now.

She just had to win this now.

Davina gritted her teeth, she had to pull out in front of him, but he kept swerving to put her in her place. She had to think fast. Her ego wasn't going to let this slide easily. Switching gears, she abruptly cut off to a side road she noticed.

Bennett didn't see her suddenly disappear before he could even realise what had happened. She cut out in front of him. Her smirk was back as she took the lead. She knew Bennett would put up a good fight. It wouldn't be worth winning if it were so easy. As crazy as she was, Davina switched gears speeding away at a safe distance from the McLaren. She was sure she was going the right way to school, barely noticing the signs that read School Ahead.

She spoke too soon. A school bus pulled out in front of her forcing her to stop. Bennett passed her, smiling wryly as he swerved into the school parking lot, basking in the glory.

Fine, you win this time, Frazier.

*******

Davina was at her locker exchanging her books when Bennett walked past. Without looking at her, he handed her something. Davina looked down to see the drivers manual she had previously given him.

"Keep it. You'll need it," He said without turning back to look at her.

Davina scoffed as she shook her head to herself. She put the book in her locker before walking in the opposite direction—both of them hiding their small smiles.