Chapter 11 - Can you Drive?

"I told you to be careful," She said softly.

Davina was becoming bleary in his eyes. He was either fainting or crying. He couldn't tell what it was just yet.

"I need to be alone right now," Jordan said, pushing past everyone and making his way out of the cafe.

He stood outside in the crisp air, processing the image that kept replaying in his mind like some sort of sick movie. The one place where he thought he would be happy came crashing down. How could he be so naive? He thought it was going to be smooth sailing from here? He scoffed to himself, wiping away the water pooling in his eyes. He wouldn't cry over this.

"You okay, man?" A voice called out.

Jordan exhaled. "Yeah, I'll be fine,"

He turned to find Declan standing a few feet away from him. He looked apprehensive, like if he took another step towards Jordan, he'd be caught in an explosion.

Declan was at a loss for words. He honestly didn't know what to say now to comfort Jordan. He didn't know how Jordan would react to this. He didn't know how he would have responded if he was in Jordan's shoes. He didn't need to start the conversation. Jordan did for him.

"She has a boyfriend," He said out loud, testing the words on his tongue. He gagged as if he spoke it into existence.

Declan did nothing but nod.

Jordan clenched his fists. Anger pulsating through his body. If he could see red, he would at that moment.

"He doesn't deserve her," He grit out.

Declan nodded again in affirmation, standing up straight. He would have to contain Jordan if his anger got the better of him.

Jordan visibly relaxed, looking exhausted more than anything. He bit his fist, not knowing what else to do to release the tension.

"This is... this is just cruel," He said again, looking at Declan this time. "To know I end up with her eventually and then knowing I can't be with her right now because she believes she's in love with another,"

"It's gonna hurt for a bit of time," Declan finally spoke out.

Jordan tsked. Declan couldn't tell if it was out of agreement or annoyance.

"Why," Jordan started, but he didn't continue. Declan watched as he stared down the concrete in front of him. "Why did we have to know," He finally let out. Like a waterfall finally finding release.

"It would have hurt a lot less not knowing who she was," Jordan spoke, the words they'd all secretly been thinking, thoughts they'd been harbouring.

"I can only imagine how the rest of our lives would go," Declan started getting lost in his own thoughts.

"I don't know, man-"

"It will get better though, you said it yourself. We'll get through it all, the good and the bad," Declan comforted, mirroring Jordan's own words and enthusiasm.

Jordan was quiet for a long time. "Yeah, I guess," He continued staring at the ground until he eventually looked up and at that moment, Declan caught the complete devastation on his face. "It just hurts like hell now,"

Declan pulled Jordan into a hug. Jordan exhaled as he rested his head on Declan's shoulder. The silence was comforting them.

After a moment, the boys pulled apart.

"You wanna go back in?" Declan asked quietly, not wanting to lose the moment.

"Nah, not today," He couldn't face them again.