Chapter Twenty-One: Blessed One

There is a silence as Taehyung bows his head before the Royal Council all start clapping. Mumbles go around the table as Jungkook claps along with them, a coy smile on his lips before he stands.

"Amazing, my prince. Absolutely amazing," Jungkook says and Taehyung smiles at him. There is a soft sheen of sweat clinging to the prince's skin, creating a twinkle within the firelight that has Jungkook enthralled. His attention is broken when the Advisor clears his throat, his hands resting on the sturdy table in front of them.

"Quite a spectacular show, Prince Taehyung. Really. However, Jungkook, you promised us a taste of your conquest, and I expect to receive that," the Advisor hisses, and Jungkook flashes him a wolfish grin.

"Indeed I did. However, a creature blessed by the gods and gifted with storytelling isn't one I can hand off to just anyone," Jungkook exclaims before looking down at Taehyung. Confusion and concern rush through Taehyung's veins when he sees the emotions in the king's eyes. There is something there that makes Taehyung want to trust in him, so he nods slightly. Just once. Just enough for Jungkook to notice.

"You promised," the Advisor growls, yet the king holds up a calloused hand, turning to face the Royal Council.

"Lord Namjoon. I do believe you've earned a night with my Desert Jewel," Jungkook says, shocking Taehyung. He thought he would be spending the night in Jungkook's arms. He never thought the king would hand him off, yet there is that look again, and Taehyung trusts him. As much as the situation confuses him, he will trust the king. Namjoon stands, bowing his head gratefully before holding a hand out for Taehyung. The ebony-haired prince bows to Jungkook and walks to the hand outstretched for him. Jungkook fights the jealousy slithering through his veins, knowing this is just temporary. That he will soon have his Desert Jewel back in his arms.

"Thank you, my king. I promise to treat him right," Namjoon quietly says, ignoring the mumbles from the rest of the Council as he escorts Taehyung out of the hall. Jungkook softly sighs, turning his attention from Taehyung's receding back to his next task at hand. Lord Herrix.

"At least we got to hear the prince's excellent storytelling," Lord Hoseok mutters, breaking through some of the Council's complaints about not getting chosen for a night with the prince.

"Indeed. He really has a way with words," another Council member agrees and Jimin leans towards Jungkook.

"My king, is it true that he is blessed by the gods? Does he have a mark of this favor?" Jimin curiously asks, and Jungkook looks at him with a quirked smile on his lips.

"He does have a physical mark that shows he is a Blessed One, but your proof is in the prince himself. He can weave a story like no other creature I've met, and he is an excellent singer. His body hosts the fire of the desert that burns with such passion–"

"It sounds like you love your conquest," the Advisor teasingly says, his crooked smile faltering when pierced by the cold glare of the king.

"I am allowed to admire the treasure that I have won without stooping to love," Jungkook spits, though his heart aches painfully in his chest at the lie. He knows he cares for Taehyung with something that burns as strong as love, but to admit that to the Advisor would be a death wish.

"My apologies, my king, I was honestly just curious about the prince's authenticity as a Blessed One," Jimin says, and Jungkook waves his hand.

"Think nothing of it. I know we all can be wary of men who claim to be more than mortal," Jungkook exclaims, sipping on his ale while glancing at the Advisor. His deep-seated revenge burns viciously in his chest, yet he knows now is not the time nor is he sure how to take the man down. The Advisor is one to claim immortality. He is one to claim to be blessed by the gods, yet he is just a man who sold his soul to the demons of hell that now haunt the Summit Kingdom. Jungkook will get his revenge against the man. Just not yet.