06 ) love letter, start!

Start from the beginning

"Because you talked about Sunoo's past potential lovers, idiot," Jiyoon places her facial towel over her shoulder (I can tell from the sound it makes,) and turns to him as she scoffs. "You can never take a hint, can you? This is why love is for females to talk about. Not sporty people like you and your group. I don't know why Areum even goes for Sunoo when he's friends with you..."

"What is that supposed to damn mean, Park Jiyoon?!" Jongseong fires up, but I can't help but continue staring at the lilac paper in hopes that it may write itself.

"I'm saying that if I was Areum, I wouldn't go for anyone who had anything to do with my stupid brother!" Jiyoon complains, Jongseong gasping in offense. "Anyone that's around you gets headaches, including me! I lose brain cells just sparing a glance at you!"

Jiyoon walks away with Jongseong following after her, raging over her minimal complaints that only happen because she has a deep hatred for him. "Oh yeah!? Well, I wouldn't date any of your friends either! Well, half because they're younger than me... I mean, because they're intertwined with whatever the hell you are! Hey, Park Jiyoon! Stop ignoring me! You know you and your friends are indeed idiots! I hate you! Hey!"

Imbeciles. Complete imbeciles. I can never side with either of them because then I'd be in the middle of another argument. Why must I have siblings?

Anyway, back to the letter. I pick up my black pen, trembling under the glare of my desk lamp. It was half-past ten, and I should be sleeping soon to get my good eight hours. Of course, it's because I read on the internet that if you get enough sleep, your face will stay clear, and I need to impress Sunoo every day-

We're getting off-topic.

I press my pen against the note and stop with one dot. What would I even say to him? I needed it to be good to keep him hooked on me. I want him to fall in love with my persona, not the secret admirers. I had to be truthful and make it sound good while also hinting that it had always been me. It needed to sound smart and prim, just for him.

So, I continue to write.

"Dear Sunoo..."

By the night had ended, I had written at least fifty words on that small sheet of paper. I didn't forget to end it with a colored-in heart, one that would only be an atom in my love for him. I signed the note with "From, your secret admirer," and folded it in half. Pressing it to my chest before looking at it once more, I felt empowered by only a few letters. As I look at it, I grin. Then, I scream. This would be the moment in time where, I, Park Areum, get to be with-

"Hey, Park Areum! Keep it down! Sunoo texted me wondering if you're okay!"

Oh. "Sorry!" I squeak, giggling to myself over the worry that Sunoo was feeling for me. This note would be the start of something new, something-

Something scary.

I tremble as I walk to his locker, knowing well that he'd be arriving in a few minutes. I always see him coming when I make my fourth round around the school, ignoring the passing looks as I stroll alone. I hold the lilac paper in my hand, one that confesses only a twelfth of my feelings to a boy who deserves them all.

I couldn't back out now that I've written it. My efforts on AP Lang and AP Lit would go to waste! I couldn't give this up. Right, Areum, either choose to be single or be taken by the man of your dreams. It would be better if you chose the first one, but risks are made for the second! Slip it in! Slip it in! Slip it in!

"Agh," I accidentally mumble, and the moment comes where I see him walking down the hallway. Shoot! He was early today?! "Shoot, shoot, Areum! Put it in!"

As I talk to myself, I know what I must do. I slip it into the small cut of the locker, running off as I pass Jiyoon with her crew. As she watches me run for my life in a zombie movie, I can see her head turn. I knew that she got the message when we both faced the other way, seeing Sunoo at his locker. So, quickly, she turns back to me before she turns the corner, giving me a thumbs up.

I wish I could wipe the blush off my face, but I hide behind the corner of the roundabout hallway. I watch as he unlocks his locker, taking his bag off. However, he freezes as he must've seen the note, smiling to himself as he grabs it. He places his bag on the ground, and as he unfolds it, his eyes scan it. I didn't want to watch any longer, but as he closes it back up, his smile grows bigger–

and for the first time, I saw his cheeks deeply grow red.

He places it in his bag sleeve, to which I assume he's keeping him. As I look away, unable to view him any longer, I hold my heart laying against the brick wall.

My heart's beating faster than my eyes could ever stare at Sunoo. However, I don't think it's because I'm nervous. It's because Sunoo... liked my note. He saved it, he blushed at it.

I think I'm regaining confidence. Park Areum, you may just get him!

But maybe, is it too early? Is it too late? Is it even time to question that...

This liking turned into loving?