"Darling is my real name" Darling tilted her head, "your name isn't Candy?"

"Of course it fucking isn't" she rolled her eyes, "god, obviously your name is really Darling- you were just born for this fucking life weren't you."

"Excuse me?"

"Listen I don't have time to stand here and catch up with the stripper who fucked us all over with Nick, I have to sit down before- shit" she paused when a group of women walked into the lunch room, immediately making eye contact with her.

"Who's that?" Darling followed her eyeline.

"Some people who don't seem to like my 'joyous' personality" she sighed sarcastically but Darling could spot something behind her eyes, something she had as a child in school when the boys who yanked her pigtails would walk through the front gates, something she had in her old job when she was mocked and made to be the point of every joke, something she flashed back to when that women held the phone above her head.

"Well, well, well- look who graced the lunch haul with her presence" one of the women walked over and mocked Candy, "was the banquet haul not open today then your majesty?"

Darling tilted her head with a frown at her tone but the three women seemed to ignore her and continue taunting Candy with quips calling her dirty for being a stripper, bringing up how she 'was too good' to use the toilet in front of her cellmate, calling her a spoilt princess for not wanting to shower with 10 other women.

"What the hell is that shit on your plate?" One of the women pointed at her plate at the poor attempt at a vegetable medley instead of the meat sack mess the others had.

"I'm... I'm vegan, sorry" Candy spoke quietly with an apology, something Darling didn't expect from such an opinionated and ruthless woman that she thought she was.

"Ooooo, she's too good to eat our food now is she?" The woman mocked, "okay then- don't eat it, in fact..."

Her hand came slamming down onto the tray and smacked it onto the floor with a roar of laughter from her small group, the majority of the rest of the inmates just shaking their heads at the childish behaviour and ignoring the notorious group's teasings.

"What the hell was that?" Darling wouldn't ignore it.

"It's, it's uh fine, I didn't want that anyway- they're doing me a favour" Candy didn't look up from the floor as the women went to walk away.

"Sweetheart, I mean this in the least insulting way possible-" Darling let go of every grudge she had against this woman who moments ago she was certain was the reason she was in here and turned to her, "-but you are being a human wet wipe right now."

"God I know" Candy sighed, "it's just- wait what are you doing?"

"Excuse me-" Darling called out suddenly to the group who were about to leave, the three women pausing and looking over their shoulders at her.

"Hiya there, sorry to bother you- I'm Darling, Darling Dawson" she walked over, holding out her hand with a smile that the woman raised an eyebrow at, ignoring her hand.

"Not a hand shaker, I get it- my friend once told me it was safer to kiss someone than shake their hand" Darling nodded with a chuckle before seeing the woman's impatient and frankly confused face, "right sorry, I'll get to the point; you need to go pick up that tray of food, apologise to her and get whatever stick that is up your ass out."

The room that moments ago was full of chatter and clatter suddenly fell silent as if they had all been listening the whole time.

"What did you say to me?" The woman tilted her head.