"Alya."

"Yes?"

"Do you have a phonebook?" I asked, turning toward her. Alya bursted out laughing like what I had just said was the funniest thing she had ever heard.

"Does it look like I have a phonebook, girl?" She replied while gesturing toward herself. I shook my head and stood from the table.

"Go sit with Nino." I said softy and stormed away, determined to get to the school library before lunch ended.

After a long conversation with Mrs. Higgins, the seventy year old librarian, I was told that the school phonebooks were out of date and that I was completely out of luck.

The day was still pretty weird after that, but not too much. Sure, I still got weird looks and people were no doubt whispering about me, but that was only to be expected. I wasn't so sure what was going to happen tomorrow, but I figured it was going to be roughly the same.

And apart from the fact that I tripped in the middle of English and whacked my head on a textbook as I hit the floor, I suppose the day was alright.

I wanted to think that the rest of my classmates were just being immature about my thing with Adrien and maybe that was true, but I had a feeling there was something else going on. Like, as in an otherworldly involvement.

So when the last bell of the day rang, I let out a huge sigh of relief as I gathered my things together and trudged my way from my class. I wasn't scheduled to work at the bakery today, so I was looking forward to another fabulous bus ride home with Zoé, where she would no doubt pester me with more insanely irrational questions about Adrien.

Joy.

I was really rather disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to see Linda and her grandkids today. But from what I'd seen of Malakai and the accident he had on Christmas Eve, I didn't think he had rightly recovered from it just yet.

"Marinette, what're you doing here?"

I gave a little jerk of surprise and blinked profusely, trying to pull myself back to reality. Somehow my feet had carried me of their own accord towards Adrien's locker and now I was standing in front of him, clutching at my school things like an idiot.

"I just sort of— what happened to you?" I let out a gasp of shock and dropped my things, my hands flying to my face as I stared up at Adrien.

There was a huge, rather ghastly looking bruise that had blossomed across his left cheekbone, making his eye look puffy and his face exceptionally sallow.

"Nothing happened," Adrien muttered, averting his eyes as he slammed his locker shut.

"Oh, don't start with me, Adrien Agreste!" I snapped, my voice pitching. "Tell me what happened."

"I was... um... disrespectful," Adrien sighed, doing air quotations, looking highly embarrassed. "Big whoop. Are you going to pick your things up now?"

I bent down and scooped my school things up into my arms, still glaring daggers up at Adrien as I did.

"You were hit for being disrespectful?" I demanded as we both started walking down the hallway.

"Yeah," Adrien commented dryly. "no big deal, really."

Yeah, right. It may have not seemed like a big deal to him, but I knew otherwise. I wasn't stupid enough to think that he'd never gotten hit for his attitude, but there was definitely something different about this time.

The bruise on Adrien's face looked like it seriously hurt. He hadn't gotten a black eye, but it sure looked like he had.

"What did you say?"

"What?" Adrien glanced over at me in confusion as he stepped down the stairs.

"What did you say to him?" I clarified, my eyes narrowing.

Adrien rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Nothing, that's why I was being disrespectful— because I wouldn't speak to him."

"Will you be alright?" I asked him as we stepped outside into the brisk December afternoon.

"I'll be fine, Mar," Adrien sighed, looking cross now. "You don't need to freak out about me all the time."

Well, he was right about that one. I wasn't going to stop freaking out about him, though. It wasn't like I even could.

"Fine," I answered as coolly as possible. "I'm just making sure."

"Well, it's not like you need to," Adrien muttered.

"Okay, well..." I trailed off awkwardly. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

Adrien pursed his lips and gave a shrug. "I suppose you will."

I resisted the urge to punch him and instead leaned up on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek before heading off in the opposite direction for the bus stop.

I wasn't really what anybody could call a religious person. Despite this fact, I was starting to keep praying that everything was going to go alright, that nothing bad was going to happen to Adrien. Now I was praying that he wasn't going to get maimed anymore than he had today.

If the growing bump on my head from my fall and in English and Adrien's rather horrific looking bruise were anything to go by, this was just a taste of what Snakes and Gabriel could offer, and I wasn't so sure I liked what I was beginning to see.