Difference between Special effects and Visual effects?

Special effects are visual tricks used in the theatre, film, television, video game and simulator industries to simulate the imagined events in a story or a virtual world. Special effects are traditionally divided into different types of special effects are mechanical effects and optical effects. With the emergence of digital film-making, a distinction between special effects and visual effects has grown, with the latter referring to digital post-production and mechanical effects (also called practical or physical effects) are usually accomplished during live-action shooting. This includes the use of mechanised props, scenery, scale models, animatronics, pyrotechnics and atmospheric effects: creating physical wind, rain, fog, snow, clouds, making a car appear to drive by itself and blow up a building, etc. Mechanical effects are also often incorporated into set design and makeup. For example, prosthetic makeup can be used to make an actor look like a non-human creature. Optical effects is a technique in which images or film frames are created photographically using multiple exposures, matted in post-production using an optical printer. An optical effect might be used to place actors or sets against a different background. Optical effects are not being used in the movie industry, VFX have replaced Optical effects for post-production development. Visual effects (sometimes abbreviated VFX) is the process by which imagery is created or manipulated outside the context of a live-action shot in filmmaking and video production. The integration of live-action footage and other live-action footage or CG elements to create realistic imagery is called VFX.VFX involves the integration of live-action footage and generated imagery that looks realistic but would be dangerous, expensive, impractical, time-consuming or impossible to capture on film. Visual effects using computer-generated imagery or CGI have more recently become accessible to independent filmmakers with the introduction of affordable and relatively easy-to-use animation and compositing software. Since 1984,computer-generated imagery (CGI) has come to the forefront of special effects technologies. It gives filmmakers greater control and allows many effects to be accomplished more safely and convincingly and-as technology improves-at lower costs. As a result, many optical and mechanical effects techniques have been superseded by CGI.