Chapter 12: Relief and Joy

Stella Knight

I woke up to the machines beeping in the hospital bed. Xan has wet puffy eyes; my brother looks like he is praying. My mom looks like she's arguing on the phone with someone in the hallway. Rosemary is petting Solaris, and is trying not to have a breakdown.

"W-w-what happened?" I ask curiously, with a dry throat. Xander, Tony and Rose lift their heads. Tony gets up and knocks on the door to get moms attention, she looks over and sees me awake. She finishes her arguing, hangs up with the person and comes rushing in hugging me tight. "My baby! Are you feeling, okay? Do you want me to get you the doctor? Do you need anything?" She exclaims then asks a lot of questions. Tony steps in, "Mom calm down, she's awake and that's what matters right now. Give her a chance to breathe. "Um... I guess I'm okay. My head hurts a little. You can get the doctor in a minute. Can I have some water or something?" I reply back. They all nod. Mom gets up and leaves to go get the doctor, while Tony gets me my water. Rosemary brings me Solaris. She can see me silently freaking out. Rose then hugs me, Tony grabs my covered feet, and has a single tear of relief running down his cheek.

I drink the water Xander got me, just as the doctor and my mom come into the room. "How are you doing Stella?" The doctor asked. I tell him I'm okay, and that my head hurts a little bit. "That's normal with what happened to you last time you were here. I've talked to Dr. Owens, he agrees. It's nothing to do with your cancer, we did double check that." He states. "So, what happened?" Mom, Rosemary, Tony and Xander all basically ask aloud. "I'm Dr. Mitchell. I'm the neurosurgeon. You had a small brain bleed. With the chemo you've been doing, it has made your bones a little weak; with being pushed like you were and falling like that. It caused a tiny crack in your skull. We didn't see it the first time because it was so tiny." Dr. Mitchell explains. "I'm okay though right?" I asked scared. He thinks for a minute or two. "You are. Dr. Owens and I agree that you should stop chemo for a few months to let your skull heal up." He tells. I nod and okay and he leaves.

I get a glum look on my face. Looks like I'll have yet another shitty birthday. Rosemary notices and squeezes my hand. We can always tell each other's moods.

I give a smile up at Rose, but she knows it's fake. I look over at Tony, Xan and mom talking about something. I don't know what. So, I look back over at Rosemary, and start talking to her about Solaris and Spike. The stereotype of dogs chasing cats being frenemies, are true. It's just false when it comes to our pets. Solaris and Spike are friends. When I don't need Solaris, Spike will be in my room snuggling with him.

I squeeze Rosemary's hand back. Then I feel tired, so I start to flitter my eyes shut and goes to sleep.

When I wake up later on, I'm in my hospital room alone. Where is everyone at? I press the nurse button, and a minute later, a nurse comes in. "Is everything okay?" She asks concerned. I reply back, "No, not really. I'm alone, and I'm a little hungry." She nods her head, "Okay sweetie, well visiting hours are over, and I'll go get you something to eat. Do you want meatloaf with mashed potatoes or lasagna with broccoli?" I think about it for a few seconds and say meatloaf. She leaves to go get it. I play on my phone for a little while waiting until the nurse comes back. Once she's back, I set my phone down and sit up more. She sets it down, take off the top and says 'enjoy,' and she leaves.

I get out my iPad, and FaceTime Rosemary, Xander, Tony and my mom. They ask what I'm eating and I replied back meatloaf with mashed potatoes. "It is not bad, but it's not as good as mine," I say. We talked while I ate, and once I was done eating, I let the nurse know by pushing the button. She comes in and take the tray. I explained that I'm on video call with my mom, brother, best friend and boyfriend, and the nurse waves hi and leaves. "I like that nurse. I haven't learned her name yet though." I tell them, and they nod.

When they all start yawning, I tell them good night and that I love them, before ending the call. I yawn myself, cuddle into my pillow and the teddy bear that Xander got me. I shut my eyes and go to sleep. I'm relieved and happy I'm still here. Good night, everyone.