Anotnios day

Elena's POV

Mama was crying in her sleep again, it happens often.
I sighed as I gently shook her shoulder, she shoot up in a panic looking around to make eyecontact with me.
"Buenos dias Mama... you where crying again." I say whipping her dried tears away. Her eyes where puffy and she rubbed the rest of the tears herself.

"Tia Juliette made breakfast, and today's Antonio's gift ceremony. I don't think I have any readings today so can I help everyone in town? I'll be extra safe!" I say as I held her hands. She lazily nodded and kissed my forehead.
"Be safe amor, I don't want you getting hurt." She gave me a tired side smile as she stretched, throwing the covers off her.

I nodded and hugged her before running out of her room to town.
It was alive and tons of villagers where decorating and getting ready for tonight.
I pulled out a few spare coins I earned from doing chores from my Tias and a few from the rats that would randomly bring them when I said I needed extra money. How nice.

I walked up happily to a shop that had animal type toys and began to look through till I stopped at a colorful Tucan. It's eye was messed up but I could just ask Mama or Mirabel to fix it up a little before tonight.

I grabbed it happily as I walked up to the counter. The lady behind the counter was busy talking with another woman who seemed to be carrying a very whiney baby.
I cleared my throat in hopes she would notice me or at least turn to look at me but it failed.

I saw my cousin Camilo walk up to the mother and offer to help and she lays down making her smile and nod. He noticed me and got the woman's attention "you have a customer" He says smiling at me before turning into the woman and rocking the baby happily.

The lady thanked him before turning around. "How can I hel- AH!" She gave out a gasp as she noticed me, her forhead beginning to sweat as she stepped a little aways.
I ignored her reaction and placed the toy in the counter for her to ring up. "Here, keep the change." I say as I dropped my coins on her counter. Her look of fear was nothing new to me, I got it often especially from people who never even met me.

I took the toy and headed out of the story happily, making my way back to the Casita seeing as everyone was basically busy in town with their chores. I quickly put the toy in a box and carried it quietly into Casita.
"Elena... what's in that box.." I heard Abula say.

"Ah... it's a gift I got for Antonio!! I thought he might like it" I say shyly making her face soften into a more empathetic look.
Abuela didn't hate me, she loved me a lot and I knew that but I know apart of her sees Bruno in me. My gift wasn't the most helpful but it was better than no gift like Mirabel so Abuela simply says it's a "gift as... interesting as you are!". I hated the way she saw our family gifts, I mean come on I'm sure she even pushed Papa or Burno away because of his gift.

I knew the moment I become a burden I'd be looked down upon by her and the family like she did to Bruno. All of them look at me like im him, and it's all I'm ever labeled as.

'Oh there goes brunos daughter!! He left her before she was born' 'poor thing' 'she's so creepy she can see dead people' 'why is her gift so weird?!' 'A gift just as bad as her fathers' bla bla bla.
Abuela simply nodded and began to walk again, heading past the door as she placed a flower pot down.

The house was full of people getting ready, far more than just family.
I made my way to my room to wrap the gift before pausing and realizing I needed to fix the toy. I rushed to Mirabels room to find it empty, of course! She was in town when I saw her last so she's not going to be here.