Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

She smiled as she rose from her chair and they wound their way through the crowds, which took forever, since so many people were milling about, waiting to welcome Loki home. McKenna smiled up at him with each person who stopped them. She couldn’t stop looking at him, actually, as it was reaffirmation that he really had come home. And she was convinced she’d never seen him look so handsome. He’d changed into his formal armor (which made her wonder if he’d remembered his promise to let her undress him from it when he returned) and his hair was a little longer than normal, combed back and tamed relatively smooth.

The hand holding hers was cool, his thumb stroking along hers in a way that suggested it was habit. And when he glanced down and caught her gazing up at him, he winked and gave her hand a squeeze.

Finally, they were on the promenade, the sounds of the dining hall fading into the distance. It was a calm, balmy night, but there was a hint of a chill in the breeze. Autumn wasn’t far away.

“So, when Selig said he talked to you, he really was talking to you?”

“Yes and no. I was there, but I don’t know if he could see me. I had to keep quiet and keep mostly in shadow. If any of you found out…”

She sighed softly. “You should have told me you were doing this, Loki.”

“I wanted to, but Odin felt it better if you didn’t have to worry about slipping. It was important Thanos believed he’d killed me.” The moonlight trailed over his shoulders and when he stopped to look down at her, half his face was silver, the other half shadow. “I would never have put you through all this if I didn’t have to.”

As they strolled along the path, the soft rush of water grew and she knew, without being told, where they were going. “Don’t ever do it again.”

“I won’t.” He stopped once more, facing her and releasing her hand to catch her face in his palms. “Not ever. You have no idea how many times I saw you crying and would have given anything to wrap you in my arms and tell you everything was going to be all right.”

“Loki, it was hell. I never knew how difficult it would be until it happened and I feel like I’ve aged twenty years as a result.” She drew in a shaky breath, her eyes stinging once more, so she blinked and gazed out at the Asgard Sea in the distance. She could just make out the whitecaps beyond the Bifrost. The water was rougher than usual. A storm was coming their way.

When she was sure she could trust her eyes, she looked back up at him. “Who else knew?”

“Son of Coul.”

“What?”

“He knew. He was to make certain nothing happened to you on Midgard.”

“So… he and May coming by the house wasn’t a coincidence?”

Loki shook his head. “No. I’m sure Odin must have alerted him. Or Heimdall.”

She sighed. “You all need to stop spying on me.”

“Love, I knew what I was risking with me, I wasn’t about to risk you as well.”

“That wasn’t your decision to make.”

He smiled. “You’re right. But I’m a protective husband and I make no apologies for that. As I’ve told you before, I will never apologize for wanting to keep you safe.” His thumbs moved lightly along her cheekbones.

“Did I really see you last night?”

“See me?”

“I was walking back from the nursery and I’d swear I saw a flash of green rounding a corner ahead of me.” She let out a dry laugh. “I followed it, like an idiot, and there was no one there.”