chapter 35 • sawyer running after me talking about i had to wait for him

Start from the beginning

troy shivered. "it growled at me once."

"sawyer and cherry, you guys get to scrape the pigeon poop off the top of the snack shack." coach handed us scrapers.

"ew!" i shrieked, dropping it on the floor.

"newt, you get bella's job of cleaning the port-a-potties." coach announced.

"gross! where even is bella?" newt asked.

"oh, she's at her nana's 60th birthday party. she looks great for her age. i mean great." coach said.

"gross." i said quickly.

"i don't remember bella saying anything about a birthday." troy looked around.

"bella probably wants to get out of cleaning." sawyer said.

"she wouldn't do that." i shook my head.

yes, she would. that's the only reason i'm here, so they wouldn't look suspicious.

"cherry's right. bella's the most dedicated player on this team. she wouldn't leave us without a legitimate excuse." newt said.

"oh, so you're fine with goin' in that port-a-potty?" troy asked.

"you mean i have to clean the inside, too?" newt panicked.

i looked at sawyer, and he glanced at me.

i ran away before he could, sawyer running after me talking about i had to wait for him and i needed more patience.

i checked my phone constantly to make sure bella, pepper, and sophie hadn't been caught, while sawyer complained that i wasn't helping.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i watched sawyer walk up to bella and i.

"how was your nana's birthday party? also, you look good today, cherry." sawyer said.

"i look good every day." i closed my locker. "thanks."

"oh, um, yeah. it was- it was great. a great time." bella said awkwardly.

"oh, sounds fun." troy nodded.

i tapped my fingers against the locker i was leaning on, wondering why she was being inspected.

"was it anything like, uh, this?" newt popped his phone out.

it was a picture of bella on stage at the hunter hayes concert instead of cleaning.

"you ditched the team to go to a concert?" troy asked.

"you lied to us." sawyer said.

"yup, we're telling coach." troy said.

snitch!

"and if you think coach'll be mad, wait 'till nana hears you skipped her birthday party." sawyer said.

the group looked at each other

i stared at sawyer, putting my hand on his hair and ruffling it.

"do you have any thoughts in your brain? like i'm wondering, is there just jellybeans and dirt?" i asked.

"i have thoughts!" sawyer defended, while the rest of the group got mad at her.

"do you know what coach is gonna do when he finds out you lied to him? he's gonna bench you." sawyer frowned.

"come on guys, all i did was miss one silly clean-up." bella said.

"but you should've been there, bella. it was a team event." troy said.

"a filthy, vile, team event, which i will be discussing with my therapist well into my forties." newt said.

"guys, i am so sorry i missed the team clean up, but please don't tell coach. i'll- i'll do anything." bella pleaded.

"how about you do my biology homework for me?" sawyer suggested.

asshole.

"done!" bella said quickly.

"and clean out my ferrets cage!" troy added.

"and i need three dozen cupcakes by tomorrow. make sure they're gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, and also rich, creamy, and totally delicious." newt said.

"i'm not sure that's even possible, but don't worry, i'm going to totally make it up to you." bella said.

troy, sawyer, and newt dragged bella off with them, making her do favors for them.

pepper and sophie tried to get an interview with hunter hayes for her new show on ace's network thing.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

"look, i know it was wrong of me to go to the concert, but you guys are just taking advantage of me." bella complained.

"yeah, that's the whole point of this." newt laughed.

"i really need to sneeze." i said, sitting down next to bella.

"then sneeze?" sawyer suggested.

"no i'm busy." i shook it off.

"that's it! i'm telling coach the truth about why i missed the clean up. i don't care if i get benched, it's better than being your servant." bella said.

i went with her, because i covered for her.

"coach, i lied to you about my nana's 60th birthday party. it wasn't her birthday. i went to the hunter hayes concert instead. i'm so sorry, i should've never put myself before the team." bella apologized. "i promise it'll never happen again."

"i am very disappointed in you, dawson. i'm glad you came clean, even though it took you a while." coach said.

"do you guys have anything you wanna tell me?" coach asked.

"we found out bella lied about the concert and we threatened to tell you unless she did what we asked so she did sawyers homework, got bit by troys ferret, and made me perfectly good cupcakes which i stomped on because i was crazed with power!" newt rambled.

"who said that?" he asked.

"wow! bella lied to me and you guys used it against her? this is shameful. i should bench all of you." coach said.

"coach, please don't bench us. we'll do anything." troy said.

sawyer, newt, and troy began to clean out coaches office, while i sat on the chair and watched.

"imagine having to clean." i laughed at sawyer.

"fuck you." sawyer laughed.