Part 3, Chapter 1: The Change

3 Years Later

"You can always find me at shinryujindance.com and all social media platforms, make sure to check out my new podcast on Soundcloud, Spotify, ITunes and of course YouTube, and a huge shout out to all the patrons over on Patreon with Shin Ryujin Dance, and the YouTube members! Thank you so much for watching, I'm Shin Ryujin. And as always, stay healthy!"

Yuna said after finishing her video. She quickly looked down in sadness. It's been almost a year since she last saw Ryujin. She went to her computer to edit out her visible sadness from the end of the video and turned off all the lights.

She then sat at the door of the crawlspace. Then she did the knock to communicate with Ryujin. Nothing.

She opened the door. Nothing. She sighed and closed the door.

Yuna leaned back in her chair and sighed again. And then a girl walked to the entrance door with a teddy bear.

"I'm hungry," the girl said. Yuna looked shocked at her appearance. "Evelyn, what are you doing out of your room?" Yuna yelled. "Well, I was hungry, and-" Evelyn couldn't finish her sentence because Yuna interrupted her. "I told you not to leave that room! You never leave that room, you understand me?!" she yelped.

Evelyn looked down and slowly walked back to her room. Yuna put her head in her hands. What had she done?

Yuna walked to Evelyn's room and opened the door. "I'm sorry I snapped at you." Yuna said, her voice drenched in guilt. "I don't understand why you won't let me out." Evelyn pouted. "It's because you're new here." Yuna said. "I'm not new." Evelyn pouted again. "I mean, out here." Yuna said.

"It's been months."

"Look, the best we can do, is to make things normal for as long as she's gone." Yuna said reassuringly. "I could help if you'd just let me." Evelyn said. "No, no. I-I got it. I've gotten close to mimicking her voice, her hair, I don't think anyone suspects anything." Yuna said.

Evelyn turned away from Yuna.

"Look, Evelyn, you need to stay in here. I need time. To figure out what to do with-"

"To do with me, right?"

"I mean the situation. You said you were hungry?"

Evelyn nodded. "Okay." Yuna said. She rolled up her sleeves and walked out the room.

Yuna began washing dishes. And she started tearing up. She laid down on the cold tile floor and closed her eyes. She saw visions of when she was younger. She saw Ryujin telling her one of favorite stories.

Then she heard scratching. And it grew louder. Then banging. Growing louder until Ryujin heard it. And she went to go see what all the racket was all about.

Unnie, no! Yuna cried inaudibly.

Yuna got out of her bed and peered out her door.

Meanwhile, Evelyn made her way upstairs to check on Yuna.

In her dream, Yuna made her way to the office. Ryujin sat on the couch and looked at Yuna.

Unnie!

"Unnie!

"Unnie!" There was sound. And then, more scratching. Ryujin slowly turned her head to the crawlspace.

Soon after, Yuna did the same thing. She let out a tiny gasp.

Ryujin disappeared. Yuna's attention was the crawlspace.

And suddenly,

YEJI bolted out the crawlspace.

Yuna opened her eyes and got up. "Are you okay?" Evelyn asked. "I'm fine, just go downstairs." Yuna said. "I'm hungry again," Evelyn said. "I can't feed you right now." Yuna said.

"Well then, can I come out?" Evelyn asked curiously. "No! If I let you out, then I'll-" Yuna stopped mid-sentence. "I'll be down in a minute. Okay? Just go downstairs."

Somi looked back and ran downstairs.

Yuna went to the bathroom and washed her face. Then she looked in the mirror. "Get it together. She chose you to be in charge. This isn't who you are." Yuna left and turned off the light. She looked at the crawlspace door across the bathroom. "Where are you, unnie." she said. And finally she entered Evelyn's room.

"Okay, you wanna hear a story?" Yuna asked.

Evelyn nodded. Yuna smiled sadly. "I think you'll like this one."

And suddenly, a girl woke up. She felt her chest. And she looked on the floor. On it were a pair of sunglasses. "There you are." she said.

"You should keep a better eye on those. Wouldn't want anyone to take them."

The girl trembled.

And then, Chaeryeong appeared.

"You ready to talk?"