9

•♧•♤•♢•♡•♡•♢•♤•♧•

•♧•♤•♢•♡•♡•♢•♤•♧•

"Nesta!"

She didn't want to turn around, but she did. And in front of her she saw Kaz Brekker standing.

"Kaz."

Her voice hadn't shown any kind of emotion. She had merely acknowledged that he was there and that she knew it. She didn't show any indication of saying anything further so Kaz chose to.

"What do you think you're doing?"

He walked closer to her, his cane making a loud thumping sound on the dock, filling the noiseless dawn around them.

"I'm going back to the Southern Colonies."

She had hesitated in her answer.

Good, Kaz thought, I can still get her to stay.

"I have a house there and I think I have had my fair share of Ketterdam and the people in it. So, it was good working with you Kaz. Goodbye."

She hurried the sentences out and turned around as fast as she could to get onto the ship.

"Nesta, don't you dare get on that ship!"

Kaz's voice was cold and gravel. It sounded much rougher than when she had first met him. Back then he'd just been a kid. A kid with a haunting past facial features too big for his head.

"I will dare! I have had my fun in Ketterdam, I'm going back now!"

"Nesta! Stay in Ketterdam! Stay with..."

A deafening silence followed.

"Stay with me," he whispered into he cold morning air.

Nesta stopped. It hadn't really been what he said, but how he said it. His voice still sounded like stone being hit against stone, but there was a sort of softness to it. No, not softness. She didn't know what, but she knew that she hadn't heard his voice sound anything like that before.

She turned around and made her way back to Kaz. She stood in front of him, almost touching chests, but not quite. He was taller than Nesta, something that irked her to this day. There had been a time when she had been the taller one. By no means was she short, Kaz was just unfortunately very tall.