~A Festive New Years Kiss ♡~

#6
————————————

[MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! ]

It's that time of year, and Wangshu Inn dazzled in it's festive cheer. Wreaths were hung, garland laid, lights sprinkled the room, and of course the secret little string of mistletoe hung somewhere nearby as per tradition.

"These human festivities still make no sense to me." Xiao was off in the distance away from the crowds of people that lingered on the main floor. "Sulking all by yourself up here, Xiao?" you chuckle; not hesitating to joke around with the stoic adeptus. "Oh it's you, have you no respect to whom you're talking to?" He sighs, saying nothing more. "Alright, I'm sorry. I just thought I'd mess with you seeing as you're here, which I'm glad you are." The scenery from where they stood was stunning. For a distance, strings of lights glistened throughout the terrain and the festive music that played only added more to the cheery atmosphere. And besides the music, the silent whistling of the wind became upon the both of you.

Until unexpectedly, Xiao had broken that silence "There are plenty other people, yet you're glad in my being here? Of all the mortals I've come across, you trouble me the most." He mutters and breathes a heavy sigh.

Typical Xiao behaviour.

"Well, I decided that I didn't want you to be alone at this time. And besides, is it hard to believe that I always enjoy your company?" You grin; only catching a small glimpse of the yaksha, but that was all it took to notice the slight hesitation in his features. "Unless, you're only here for the almond tofu that is?" You try to hold back the small laughter that threatened to escape, but eventually your efforts were of no use.

A sudden inarticulate Xiao perked up; breaking his usual demeanour. "Ah, that reminds me.. I saw a couple plates downstairs, I'll grab you one!" You were enjoying yourself; teasing the now pouty child-like adeptus in front of you. Not leaving any room for Xiao's disapproval— you swiftly head downstairs.

Upon a few minutes later, you hurriedly climb the rest of the stairs with a plate of almond tofu in hand. Eagerly awaiting to gift the delicious dish to the adeptus that remained upstairs. "I feel a bit guilty for taking the last one but it's a good thing I went when I did, otherwise I'd have a starving yaksha on my hands." An unpleased Xiao stood at the top leaning against the doorway as he watched you make it up the rest of the stairs; chuckling. "Keep it for yourself. I have no appetite for food, or an intention to humour your childish behaviour."

You tease Xiao a little more with the dish that still rests in your hands, before giving up and deciding to have a bite of it yourself. You observe the surroundings around you, taking notice of all the cheery groups of people. "You're rather clueless when it comes to 'mortal' feelings, huh." You chuckle; taking another bite. Averting your teasing gaze, Xiao looked completely unaffected as to what you had just said— keeping his arms crossed; deep in thought as he faces to the side.

You sigh and lean forward. Taking an opportunity to mess with him with a surprise kiss. You start inching closer to the yaksha's face; as he clearly isn't paying attention. When feeling how close you had gotten, Xiao shifts his head coming face to face; making you quickly freeze in place. Xiao remained unfazed, but his watchful eyes paused on the different shades of pink that suddenly appeared in front of him. Making your face feel 10x hotter in the position you were caught in— even with the cool breeze that blew inside. Xiao's eyes widened only a little from curiosity, and his lips parted only slightly before speaking.

"Is something wrong?" You could feel his hot breath go against your face, further indicating that you two were very close. He showed no signs of the usual uninterested blank stare or the everyday scowl, but instead something unforeseen and more gentle had appeared on his face. As you regain your courage; you quickly peck him on the lips. Finishing what you had already started. Xiao huffs out a quiet sigh after watching you pull away in a sheepish grin; avoiding eye contact.

Hardly a reaction..? Are you kidding me!
His lack of expression was truly surprising, but at the same time was somewhat expected.

With his back still against the doorway— Xiao inches his face closer to yours; hesitant and moving slowly. "I've seen plenty mortals share moments under this plant, but I find it incomprehensible as to why they do such things."

Suddenly, something warm is firmly pressed against your lips. Without warning, Xiao had closed the gap you had started, the sudden force almost knocking the plate of tofu out of your hand. It was short, but sweet; the only thing you could focused on was the seemingly peaceful look that adorned Xiao's face and the warm sensation of his lips on yours.

You both pull away, quickly slapping your free hand over your mouth— trying to hide the heat that had been rushing to your face once again after the realization soon hit you; leaving you in a daze.
Was he referring to the mistletoe?!

"Hm, almond tofu." He muttered. Xiao wipes his thumb over his mouth, reminiscing the taste of the almond tofu you ate beforehand. The flustering mess of you had caught more of his attention. As to why you had reacted that way— he didn't know why. "Why are you cowering away from something you didn't do correctly the first time?" The question left you at a loss for words, and the silence only making him even more puzzled; though it never showed on his face.

Your stomach felt like butterflies, and your heart was a flutter. Not before long the screeching of fireworks filled the night sky— brightly colouring the Inn in its festive beauty. As if drawn right to it, you saunter back to the edge of the balcony; your eyes lost in admiration of the sky above. Once reaching the end, you feel something briefly touch the end of your fingertips before hesitantly interlocking a couple fingers completely. Only to find Xiao on the other end.

The small gesture bringing a smile to your face, and that was where you both stayed. "Happy New Year, Xiao."

———————————-
-1105 words-

A/U Note: Sorry it's a little late, but here's to enjoying the new year with the angsty-ist adeptus we all know and love! :]