"It's okay. I guess I should've realized you wouldn't show up on time given your track record," Leila said. "What do you want? I'll buy your coffee."

"What? No. I'll buy it myself," Mia argued.

"Absolutely not. I asked you to meet me," Leila said.

"You're always so stubborn," Mia grumbled before submitting.

Both only held the silence for a moment before laughing slightly. It seemed like for a moment, nothing had changed.

Once they got their coffees and took a seat out on the patio, that was when Leila began to notice that the passage of time had made a difference. While obviously Mia's appearance had changed with age, she seemed quieter and slouched more often than she used to. The dark circles under her eyes were new, and Leila was quick to notice the scabs on her fingers from where she had picked at her hangnails. As Leila observed these things, Mia's gaze was focused on the ocean. While Mia appeared tired and worn, Leila only saw childlike wonder in her eyes when her attention was fixed on the waves.

Leila sipped slowly on her glass of iced coffee. The thud it made when she set it back down on the table broke Mia from her trance.

"Thanks for meeting with me," Leila said.

"Oh. Of course," Mia said.

Once again, an awkward silence lingered between the two. Leila suddenly felt foolish for thinking things would pick up again where they left off. Twelve years without seeing each other was a long time apart.

"So, when did you move back?" Leila asked, trying to treat the small talk as if she were on a first date.

"May," Mia answered, her mouth full of blueberry muffin. She took a few seconds to swallow before explaining further: "After my lease in New York ended."

"Where'd you go to school?" Leila wondered.

"NYU. I majored in art and studio design," Mia answered.

Leila smiled, happy to know Mia had never lost her passion for artwork.

"And you've been...here?" Mia wondered.

"Pretty much," Leila said. She took another sip of her coffee. "I went more in-state for college, but I moved back here after graduating. I've been working at a PR firm nearby for a little over a year now."

"That's good to hear," Mia said. Her gaze turned to the ocean once more.

"Are you working part-time at that coffee shop?" Leila wondered.

"Oh. No. Full time, actually. I haven't really found out how to put my degree to good use yet, so I've had to take customer service jobs in the meantime. But you know. Someday," Mia murmured.

"Oh. Sorry to hear that," Leila murmured, feeling the awkwardness seep in again. "So...why did you move back here? Did your dad come with you?"

She watched Mia stiffen. Slowly, her gaze turned back to Leila.

"Actually, my dad died this past April," Mia said.

Leila's jaw dropped automatically. "I-I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry to hear that—"

"Drunk driving accident. Maybe it helped already going through one parent's death before, or maybe it was because my dad and I weren't that close when he died, but I'm okay. Don't worry," Mia said. Silence lingered between them once again. "As for your other question, I don't really know why I moved back here. Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for."

"No, it's okay! You don't need to explain. I mean, thank you for feeling comfortable sharing with me about your dad. I'm sorry to hear that. Even if you don't know why you came back to Maine, I'm glad you did. It's nice seeing you again, at least," Leila said.