15

Ethan, who seemed to have sensed a tremendous gaze, raised his head and looked at Claude and Sarah. But Claude, who awkwardly averted his eyes, and Sarah, who smiled at Claude like that, were not looking at him.

    'It's strange. Is it because it's awkward…...'

    Ethan, who clearly felt their gaze longing for something, shook his head. He looked at Claude once more, but the child, like him, was rolling his eyes, wondering if the first intimate meal was awkward. Sarah was also smiling, looking only at Claude's back, to see if he was looking away.

    Ethan picked up the tableware again, thinking it was too awkward. At the same time, Claude and Sarah's persistent gaze turned back to him. Bread, stew, or salad? The victory or defeat of the bet depended on where the Duke's hand touched first. Claude's eyes were shining even though he was nervous. Perhaps because he succeeded in greeting his father in the morning, the child's eyes shone with a desire to be praised this time.

    "Ah!"

    At that moment, a pitiful exclamation came from Claude. Unfortunately, the Duke chose salad as his first dish, just like Sarah had chosen.

    "Fufu."

    Sara's soft laugh could be heard behind Claude's back. Claude suddenly hated the salad and picked up the bread. He didn't know if it was going down his throat or his nostrils.

    'I wanted to…… receive compliments from Father.'

    The disappointment was even greater than the expectation. He thought he knew his father better than his nanny, Sarah. But he was saddened because he couldn’t guess his father's appetite, which even Sarah could have guessed. Just as he didn't know anything about his father, he probably didn't know anything about him either.

    Claude glanced at the Duke eating gracefully in front of him. The Duke didn't even make eye contact with Claude except when he first greeted him in the morning.

    'After all, Father hates me.'

    The excitement subsided in an instant. Claude drooped his shoulders and reached out helplessly. At that time, Claude's elbow hit a glass cup next to the tableware.

    Crash!

    The glass cup that fell under the table with a sharp sound was shattered and broken.

    "...…!"

    A loud noise urupted in the quiet dining room. Claude looked up in surprise. And when he made eye contact with the Duke looking at him, he couldn't breathe properly. This was because he made a big mistake at the first meal with his father. Claude's face grew pale.

    'Sigh.'

    Sarah, who had been watching the whole scene, clicked her tongue in regret. When Sarah winked lightly, the servants quickly removed the glass that Claude had broken and poured water into a new glass. Still, Claude remained frozen and did nothing. Ethan looked at the child calmly to see if there was any injury, but in Claude's eyes, it seemed as if he was just reprimanding himself. Sarah eventually pulled out the chair next to Claude and sat down.

    "...... Countess Millen?"

    When she sat down in her chair, which she had refused to eat a little while ago, Ethan called out to Sarah as if puzzled. Claude, who had been frozened by an unexpected mistake, also turned his creaky head to look at Sarah.

    "Nanny?"

    "I thought I'd like to eat something too."

    Sarah smiled calmly and looked at the father and son. It could be burdensome to receive the gaze of two men at once, but Sarah smiled once without showing any signs of discomfort and asked the Duke for understanding.