Unexpected Visits

(TW: Drug use, talk of alcoholism)
(CW: CPS, throwing up, passing out)

Kurapika POV

I slowly opened my eyes and yawned. For the past two nights Leorio has been sleeping on the couch, or technically passing out drunk on the couch or just wherever he can. When he decided to drink on Christmas Eve it caused him to relapse after weeks of not drinking, and he was doing so well.

I shut my eyes, his relapse is all my fault, but at the same time I wasn't the one who made him do anything therefore it shouldn't be my problem and I should just carry on with my day.

I sat up and sighed, I got out of bed and went over to our closet. I just slipped on a pair of jeans and one of Leorio's t-shirts that was too small for him.

I walked downstairs into the living and heavily sighed, Leorio was passed out on the floor with multiple alcohol bottles around him wine, beer, vodka, and any other alcoholic drink he could find. Along with the alcohol bottles was a half empty bag of brown and white powder with a needle, spoon, and lighter sitting on the coffee table.

I closed my eyes and shook my head, I walked over to my husband on the floor. I wrapped my arm around him and lifted him up to the best of my ability laying him down on the couch. 

I began to pick up the bottles off the floor and throw them away.

As I was throwing away the last of the bottles I heard a knock at the door. I quickly walked over and opened the door, "Hello?"

"Hi, are you Mr. Paladiknight?"

"One of them yes.."

"Hi I'm Judy from Child Protective Services and I'm just here to make sure the house is ready and safe for Lillian to move in next week."

My eyes widened, "Oh!" I glanced behind me at Leorio on the couch, "You didn't tell us you would be coming today?" I looked back at them.

"Well that's the point Mr. Paladiknight." The woman smiled, "So can I come in?"

"Um, one second I need to go get my husband." 

I shut the door and ran over to the couch, "Leorio, you need to wake up. Now."

Leorio groaned, "Why?"

"CPS is here, they're checking out the house and I don't think they'll be thrilled to see you passed out on the couch because you drank too much." I said passive-aggressively.

He sat up, "Okay...okay."

"Oh shit." He quickly grabbed the stuff off the coffee table and put it in his pocket, "Kurapika-"

I stood up, "No, we can talk later. For right now just pretend you aren't hungover."

He nodded, "Okay."

I turned around and walked back over to the door re-opening it, "Okay, hi, come on in."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Leorio move his hand away from his face and breathe a sigh of relief before shoving something into his pocket. 

The women turned around and smiled, "I have a few questions for you to answer."

"Yes of course," I said, "What would you like to know?"

"Is your kitchen safe? Can the kids get to the alcohol?"

I nodded, "We keep the knives in a drawer and not out the kids still can access them but they all have coverings, the plates and that stuff is kept in one of the top cabinets, and we keep all the alcohol one the top shelf, only Leorio can reach it-"

"Isn't he a recovering alcoholic?"

"Um yes, but we have a key for the cabinet, I'm the only one in this house that knows where it is." I cleared my throat, "Anyway. We had to 'baby proof' the house so all the sharp and glass objects are kept away so only the teenagers and adults can get to them and only I can get into the alcohol cabinet. Right Leorio?"

"Hm? Oh yeah." Leorio nodded, "I'm not able to...get into it."

"Are you alright Mr. Paladiknight?" The CPS worker asked.

"It's Dr. Paladiknight and yes, I'm fine..." He mumbled.

"What would you like to know next ma'am?" I said trying to change subjects.

She wrote something down then looked up, "Where would she be sleeping?"

"She would be sharing a room with Alluka, we have shared custody over her with a woman named Mito, she's currently at Mito's right now but she's around Lilly's age. Also when our daughter Lucy is old enough most likely her as well. Would you like to see her room?" I asked.

"Um, no thank you- Dr. Paladiknight are you sure you're alright? Your nose is bleeding."

Leorio touched his nose, "Oh shit, hold on." 

Leorio walked into the bathroom and shut the door.

I turned back to Judy, "What else would you like to know?"

"You and Leorio take prescription medicine correct?"

"Yes correct."

"Are the kids able to get to them?"

"Technically they could but the kids aren't fully aware where they are..." I replied, "But they all do have childproof caps if that helps."

I looked into the hall, "Um excuse me, I'm going to check on Leorio."

I stood up and walked to the bathroom, "Leorio."

I knocked on the door, "Open the door, are you alright?"

The door opened, "I'm fine."

I walked inside then shut the door, "No you aren't. Let me see your eyes."

"Why?" He chuckled, "Why do you want to see my eyes."

"Leorio." I said softly, "Let me see you eyes."

"Hold that thought." Leorio kneeled over the trash can and began to throw up.

"Leo..." I said mumbled.

Leorio sat back and wiped his mouth, "Nasty...anyway my eyes."

I kneeled down beside him and looked into his eyes, "You're high, I can tell from your pupils. Leorio you need help, I'm not going to yell this time but you need to go to a rehab or something. If that woman out there finds out your high and hungover we won't get to adopt Lilly and we'll most likely loose our other kids."

I put my hand on the side of his face, "I know you'll definitely not remember this once you're sober but please get help, not only for the family but for yourself."

Leorio's head began to nod back and fourth, thankfully he was still mostly awake. Eventually Leorio went into a semiconscious state, great.

"Leorio?" I exclaimed, "Leorio! Shit."