01- The Letter Arrives

Start from the beginning

That was the day I had changed, I had made up my mind. To be compassionate, independent and humble. I wanted to avoid turning out like my brother.

I didn't want to be so conceited and evil.

..................

I had made it to work safely, clocked in early and got settled around my desk. My job was to check in and check out books at the front desk and to direct people to the books they were seeking to read. As soon as I sat down and turned my monitor on, a group of girls from my school approached me. The group consisted of 2 blondes and a red head and they all looked like models.

They were popularly known as the It Girls of our school. Stacy, Trisha and Claire. Not to mention they were cheerleaders, so they sat at the top of the food chain where highschool was concerned.

So I found it weird to see them at the library.

"Good morning, we're looking for the comics section... could you point us in the right direction?" The Redhead greeted and asked, her tone soft and polite.

"Of course, It's around the left section, second row" I replied cheerily, happy to assist them.

Who would've guessed such beautiful and fashionable girls would be into comics?

"Oh, before you go sign here please" I instructed them, pointing at the records book on my desk.

They quickly obliged and made their way over to the comics aile, chattering about God knows what.

After they had left my desk, I got busy doing some homework. I always multitasked, if I got time to relax at work, I'd catch up on school work. I was a top student at school and I was not going to fall behind now. Work was no excuse, so I learnt time management and maximized on every minute of my day.

"Hey Ashlin!" a loud voice greeted, causing me to roll my eyes before responding.

"Are you trying to get me fired asshole?" I asked Ashley, as she grinned at me.

"Maybe, after all...your job takes up all our fun time" she admitted, too blunt to not answer honestly.

"Oh shut up, you know where I live" I replied as I signalled her to sign her name.

She did just that, then she gave me a wink and made her way to the back of the library to wait on her boyfriend.

Ashley was my cousin, who lived a few houses down from me. She was 3 years my senior but made me feel as if we were the same age. She was bubbly, pretty and had a great sense of humor, I'd go as far as to say... she's the best cousin in the world. yet sometimes she was a witch, I mean who shouts in a library? Especially when their cousin works there? Oh I knew the answer...Ashley.

Getting back to my work, I finished my Calculus and Chemistry homework. I was getting a bit bored as it was a slow saturday but I instantly perked up when I saw Jax approaching my desk. He had a coffee cup in one hand and donuts in the other, a smile on his face and a little bounce in his steps. Jax was my best friend, who worked at the coffee shop right across from the library. He had made it his duty to deliver my lunch, every saturday at 12 and boy did I appreciate it.

"Here you go, your highness" He spoke as he placed the coffee and donuts on my desk.

"Thank you, my loyal subject" I replied heartily, as I collected the goods and rest them in the area I had cleared specially for them.

"So, how's the day been?" He asked, seeming a bit off but still trying to make small talk.

"Are you ok Jax? You seem off" I asked, ignoring his question for me.

He sighed and scratched his neck before he looked straight at me.

" I broke up with Fabiola" he revealed and internally I rolled my eyes.

He needed to make up his mind because him and Fabiola were a toxic pair. In fact they were the reason our friend group split, after they had forced people to pick sides. Only to get back together, making everyone look like clowns.

"What happened this time?" I asked, not even bothering to sound concerned.

"She cheated"He whispered, bowing his head as he said the words.

I froze at that because as much as I knew they were toxic. I would've never expected that from Fabiola. I reached for his hand and squeezed it, hoping to give him some comfort. I knew first hand what it felt like to be cheated on, it was not a pretty feeling at all.

"Don't beat yourself up, you did nothing wrong" I spoke, knowing how he might think it was all his fault. That he wasn't good enough for her and so she found someone else.

"It just sucks you know, I invested so much energy into her...then she just throws it all away" He let out, freeing himself of his thoughts.

"Life is unfair, love is blind and sometimes we trust the wrong people. In the end it will work out." I Finished, knowing as much as I wanted to comfort him, I had work to get back to.

By the day's end rolled around, I was worn out completely, All I wanted was to sleep. So after arriving home safely, I kicked my shoes off, locked the door, threw off my coat and collapsed into the couch. I didn't even realize that it was mail day, meaning my college acceptance or rejection letter could be in the mail. All I wanted was to just sleep.

Which is what I did, I slept.

I had slept for a good three hours before a knock at the front door woke me up.

Annoyed at the fact that my power nap was interrupted, I angrily got up and marched over to the door. I paused for a few seconds to gain control of my emotions before swinging the heavy door open. Of Course it was just my neighbours, checking in on me. After reassuring them I was fine, they made their way back to their house.

I knew they were just following orders but it was starting to make me feel annoyed. As I stood in the doorway, still not fully awake, I suddenly remembered that it was mail day. So I instantly perked up as I ran down the driveway to the mailbox.

Praying to see a letter from Harvard, I took the contents of the box into my hands. Slowly skimming through to see if the only letter that mattered was present. As if on purpose, I found it at the bottom of the pile. How ironic am I right.

Feeling happy that it had finally arrive, I took my time walking back up the driveway. I was so excited to read it, yet so nervous at the same time. I wasn't sure if I could handle a rejection from my dream school, so as I walked into the house and locked the door...I put the letter under the pile once more. I'd just read it tomorrow.

Then suddenly a blue envelope caught my eye. It had the name Zion neatly written at the top right corner and two addresses stamped at the bottom left corner. Which peaked my interest because I didn't know anyone by the name of Zion.

I knew getting letters from a stranger was weird and I was aware of stranger danger. Yet reading the letter wouldn't hurt, right? I mean what's the worst that could happen.....

Hello lovely readers👋🏽
Comments are welcomed😇 
And Voting is truly appreciated ❤️
See you in the next bit👋🏽✨