10

T E N

·

There was nothing Haejin could do but to accept Jake's sweet offer of friendship. She didn't think that she would be friends with Jake before the actual person—the Author Lee Heeseung—whom she aims to mainly be connected to.

She doesn't have a lot of friends. Haejin has Rina, of course. She seemed to be okay with everyone in the university, but she truly does not have anyone to rely on in college. Well, there is one—Yang Jungwon, her former schoolmate in high school. She hangs out with him every weekend with Rina, although Rina doesn't like Jungwon at all.

"Look at you, taking everything from Haejin again. You ate your part, Jungwon, let her food be!" Rina sputtered out in annoyance.

Jungwon rolled his eyes as he shamelessly ate Haejin's friend chicken. "Haejin would give it to me anyway. Besides, we only get to see each other every weekend–"

"Exactly, you little glutton. Look at Haejin. She looks so thin and dying—how can I bear to witness my roommate starve because of a selfish chicken maniac? Poor Haejin," Rina said after she cut Jungwon off. Jungwon only laughed at Rina's reaction for he apparently enjoys teasing Rina so much even if they weren't exactly friends.

"Don't fight now. And don't spoil the ramyeon! Look, it's soggy and basically garbage. You two only care about chicken, really," Haejin scolded both her friends. The two carried on with teasing each other as Haejin sighed out from overthinking.

It was so easy for Jake to ask her about friendship. If only I could do it that easily too, Haejin thought. She wanted to message Heeseung again but she was afraid to disturb him and embarrass herself for looking desperate.

Heeseung wasn't as awkward, but he was sometimes too formal. She could truly just slide in a DM again but she didn't know why she couldn't. Was it because she was shy? Was it because it felt overwhelming to talk to her current favorite author? She couldn't pinpoint it herself.

All Haejin knew is that everytime she looked at her phone, she was being reminded of the characters she longed to read about again.

Would it be bad? Haejin shook her head. Would it be so bad to send a DM again?