Chapter 2 - Preparing For College

A/N: So yeah to clarify going forward I've decided on: Mumbos eyes naturally Brown.
Grians eyes naturally Blue.
Grians brown eye is his left. Mumbos blue eye is his left, so they're opposites.

I was gonna start this up in the news year but I have ideas for now so here's a new chapter!

Word Count: 1180
_________

The end of the summer holidays quickly came around. Grian had now grown more accustomed to putting the contact on and felt pretty confident that his friends either wouldn't notice or wouldn't mind. Last he knew his friend group didn't have anyone else who developed a different eye colour. At least he wouldn't feel forced to date any of them.

Though, not all of them had gotten their signs yet. It was unusual for a bunch of nearly eighteen-year-olds but they were told that it could take anywhere up to their mid-twenties to know for sure.

Usually, there were 3 main forms your soul mate sign would come in and unless you were in the minority of people who had multiple soulmates then you would only be looking out for one of them.

The most common and most useful were the people like Stress who got a hair strand change. People figured out that your soul mate could dye their hair and the colour and pattern would match onto their strand. Most people generally got that one and it helped many people to figure out if who they were with was the one for them. People figured that they could dye hair and it would update on their soulmates too. Meaning it was the least stressful way funnily enough.

Then you had people like Scar who developed a specific pattern usually on their upper arm, lower leg or back that would only match up in placement and patterning to their soulmate. Grian had only seen people with small birthmark-like soulmate signs.

Grian was unfortunate enough to get stuck with the rarest of the three outcomes. His left eye matched his soulmates meaning their right eye would match his. It was weird to think that not too long ago he had been given heterochromia purely from having a soulmate.

He just needed to survive year 13 (17-18 year olds, British System) and he'd go off to uni where no one knew him. That wouldn't be so bad, surely. He was meant to be meeting up with Scar later so they could discuss their timetables for the year and go through when they'd get to meet up.

He liked having a larger friend group but he had grown especially close to Scar the past year. There were many small dynamics like that within the group, no one really minded given how weird it could be to manage times with such a large group.

Their classes last year were at different times so they rarely all got together other than holidays and weekends and sometimes they'd all come together for lunches. But the group chat persevered through it all. Grian was just glad that everyone managed to stay together really with how difficult it could be to fit in time for the whole group.

See Scar and him shared a class last year so it meant that they could actually spend more time together, other people in the group had a similar situation. He had been wanting to talk to Scar about his eye, figuring that he probably wouldn't make him stop even if he worried about his methods. They weren't compatible as soulmates apparently so did it matter if he knew? Scar would probably just want the best for him realistically and that's all he could ask for.

He took a deep breath before he finally arrived at Scars house, letting it out with a shakey sigh before knocking gently on the door. Hopefully things would go smoothly.

"Grian! Hi!" Scars smile as he opened the door very easily soothed Grians nervous as he felt his shoulders relax.

"Come on in!" Scar ushered before he had even got a chance to respond back.

It wasn't long before the two had entered Scars room and begun to look over their timetables.

"Yeah, it's a match" Grian let out a small laugh as he compared the two. "You cannot get me in trouble this year though. It looks like we have a new teacher."

Scar feigned offence as he retorted, "Me? I'm a star pupil thank you. I think you'll find, you're the bad influence." He laughed back.

The two had been getting into mild trouble the prior year. Small things like mini pranks, hiding the others homework, giving them the wrong answers etc. It was all in good fun and no major harm came from it but the teachers were definitely weary of the two. Luckily they could justify paired work as Grian helping spell check Scars work. It wasn't a complete lie but it also gave them a chance to talk more.

"Hey Scar, can I talk to you about something?" Grian shifted awkwardly in his seat, knowing that no matter how he brought it up it would need to happen now or he'd never convince himself to.

"Of course, what's up?" Scar felt the tonal shift in Grian and tried his best to match it, ignoring the worry he felt. They didn't often have serious talks.

"Ok. Well." Grian started trying to keep his words slow and consistent to avoid saying it all at once. "I think I got my soulmate sign..." Grian mumbled, feeling himself sink into his chair.

"Could you repeat that?" Scar wasn't sure he was hearing things right. So he softly asked that with a smile, just wanting to be sure.

"I think that I got my soulmate sign..." Grian sighed looking him in the eyes. They both held contact and that's when Scar realised his eyes were different shades.

"Your eye?" "Yes and no-"

Noticing Scars confusion he stops himself from continuing. Deciding it would be easier to do this instead.

"Just...watch?" Grian asked, getting a confirmation nod before removing his contact.

"It happened recently, I just- You know how I feel about soulmates..." Grian sighed as he put his contact back in. "I've just been pretending it was nothing with this contact. No one has really asked anything yet."

Scar listened as Grian let out all his feelings. His friend had heterochromia and refused to show people all because he didn't believe in the soulmate signs.

"Who have you told?" Scar felt himself ask without thinking, trying to wrap his head around it. "Just you. I know college might be harder now because someone out there is gonna match my eyes but flipped." Grian could feel himself sinking into his chair more.

"Gri- I won't stop you but will you at least talk to people if they have a brown and blue eye?" Scar sat forward a little bit.

"I- I don't know. I don't like the whole soulmate thing and I just-"

"I know." Scar spoke softly, offering a gentle smile to Grian. "I won't make you. It's fine Gri. You can do what you want and if you decide you're ready then we can try and find them." Grian nodded, appreciative of Scars gentleness with the situation.

"Hug?" He offered with a chuckle. So they did, a nice warm understanding embrace was just what Grian had needed.