Chapter 10 - Time Together

When Mumbo had watched Grian put on the hoodie, there was a twinge of emotion in his heart. He loved seeing the smile on Grian’s face, maybe another time he would tell him that he had been wearing it to get it to smell like him before giving it to him.

He figured for now he would push down whatever feelings he had going on and focus on Grian’s injuries for now. Wanting to assist where he could.

“How’s your hand?” Mumbo asked, cautiously holding his wrist out so he could examine it. “A bit sore, I think there’s a small cut? But it’s fine.” Grian, laughed, not wanting to burden Mumbo with the fact he was in a lot of pain but also ignoring the fact his face started to heat up a bit in Mumbo’s gentle touch.

The low hum in response told him that maybe Mumbo knew it wasn’t as fine as he acted.
“This may sting so here,” Mumbo started, offering his other hand as he explained, “You can squeeze my hand to distract yourself whilst I help sort this cut out.”

They both readjusted, Grian virtually hovering his non-injured hand over Mumbos, in case he needed it. As Mumbo pulled back and began to sort out what would be used.

He remembered hissing at the pain as his hand gently squeezed against Mumbos before he immediately let go again. After that he sighed, knowing Mumbo would want to check over his face too, forcing his eyes to stare at the floor as he moved in close. How was his touch so soft? Was it normally? Was he just afraid of injuring him more? For such a well-intentioned gesture, Grian sure felt like he was making it awkward.

He couldn’t really focus in the moment, only really zoning back in when Mumbo made a comment about his eyes, not catching the full context and pulling back a bit in shock.

“Grian?” He refused to look up, knowing he would break down if he did. Instead, he just let out a shaky sigh.
“Grian, look at me?” Grian paused, noticing the soft tone, as care and worry-filled Mumbo’s voice. That’s the last thing he really remembered before crying.

Was it bad to cry with a contact on? Would he need to remove it? What would happen? Will Mumbo ask more questions now? Questions flooded his mind instantaneously before he felt a pair of arms wrap around him.

They stayed there silently for a moment before Grian pulled back again, this time meeting Mumbo’s eyes. There was clear confusion in his eyes but also a lot of genuine worry. He let out another sigh, adjusting himself. It was probably time to be honest.

“Mumbo,” He started, having to fight himself to get the words out. “I- I need to tell you something. Please don’t hate me…” He broke eye contact at the last part, not sure how Mumbo would ever react but looked back up shortly after.

“We should, uhm, probably go to the mirror so you can see what I mean easier.” He figured it would be easiest to simply show him, with both at them at the mirror they could check at the same time if they really did match.

Grian simply decided on doing it without thinking so he couldn’t back out, refused to look Mumbo in the eyes as the contact came out.

Silence. It was insufferable. It was worse than anger because at least yelling was a clear response. But silence? It could mean any number of things and all Grian could do was wait.

It wasn’t too long after Mumbo got over the initial shock that he spoke. “Are we-?” His tone was unfamiliar as he turned to face Grian. He bent down so they were at a level height, glancing at him.

Grian sighed, as he turned, forcing a smile to his face as he nodded. “I think so. I’m sorry-” “What?” “Mumbo I- I’ve never really liked someone before, I dunno if I can give you what you need-” Grian stopped himself as he felt his eyes tearing up again, not wanting to cry once more.

“…Grian. There’s nothing to apologise for.” Mumbo brought him into a hug, this one slightly tighter as if suggesting that he wasn’t going to go anywhere.

After a while he pulled away offering that the two go back to what they were planning on doing, playing games and eating some snacks together. Mumbo figured that it could wait a while for him to tell Grian that he was trans, he didn’t need the extra stress right now, he just needed a friend not any more stress from his soulmate situation. It would probably help him feel less guilty, both of them to be fair, but right now they just needed positivity and that was what he even came over for in the first place.

He would give himself the rest of the week to finally tell Grian, he deserved to know. It was only fair.