The Discussion (3)

Mia's POV:

'Aren't I a little too young to be retired?' I asked.

'You were too young to be a double agent but here we are.' He said and walked away. I just glared at him, my eyes burning at the back of his head. I just stood up and walked away. After taking a few minutes to calm down, I went back in the meeting room and everyone was discussing about the Accords.

'Secretary Ross had a congressional medal of honour, which is one more than you have.' Rhodey said to Sam.

'So let's say we agree to this thing. How long before they low jack us like a bunch of common criminals.'

'177 countries want to sign this. 117 Sam, and you're just like. No that's cool. We got it.' Rhodey said. Steve was sitting and reading through the book. I decided to sit behind him so I could read it as well.

'How long are you going to play both sides?' Sam asked.

'I have an equation.' Vision said and Steve put the book down. I took it from him to read from the start.

'Sure, now this will clear it up.' Sam said.

'In the years that Mr. Stark has announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons have grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commensurate rate.'

'So, you're saying it's out fault?' I asked, not looking up from the book.

'I'm saying there might be a causality. Our own strength invited challenge, challenge incites conflict. And conflict, breeds catastrophe. Oversight. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand.' Vision said.

'Boom.' Rhodey muttered, like it was the most easiest thing in the world. 

'Tony, you're being uncharacteristically, non-hyperverbal.' Nat said. 

'That's because he's already made up his mind.' Steve said. 

'Boy, you know me so well. Actually I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal. Am I running bed and breakfast for a biker gang?' He said. 

'That's Charles Spencer by the way.' He said and I looked up. He had taken out a picture of a boy. 

'He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor level gig and Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas, which is what I would do. he didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where? Sokovia.' he said. I looked down.

'He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass.' he said and took a sip of his coffee.

'There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check!' He said, raising his voice.

'Whatever form that  takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, we're boundry-less, we're no better than the bad guys.'

'Tony, is someone dies on your watch, you don't give up.' Steve said. 

'Who says we're giving up?' he asked. 

'We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame.' I said, pointing to the thick book on my lap.

'I'm sorry, Mia. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're taking about. It's not the world security council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not HYDRA.' Rhodey said.

'No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change.' Steve said.

'That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing.' Tony said, walking to me.

'Tony, you choose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose.' Steve said.

'What if this panel sends us somewhere, we don't think we should go. What if it's somewhere we need to go but they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own.' I said.

'If we don't do this now, it will be done to us. That's a fact. that won't be pretty.'

'You're saying that they'll come for me.' Wanda said.

'We will protect you.' Vision said.

'Maybe Tony's right. If we keep one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off...' Nat started to say but got interrupted by Sam.

'Aren't you the woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?' Sam asked.

'I'm just reading the terrain. We've made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back.' Nat said.

'Focus up. I'm sorry... Did I just miss hear you or did you actually agree with me?' Tony asked, causing me to roll my eyes and lean back on my seat, just then, Steve got a notification on his phone. 

-X-X-X-X-X

Word Count: 860 Words