The Sokovia Accords(2)

Mia's POV:

'It's not your fault.' I said to her. She was still in shock. I quickly flew to the floor and started to help with evacuation. After that, we went back to the compound and I got fresh. My body was littered with bruises. I then went to Wanda's room and knocked on her door. She opened it with her powers.

'Can I come in?' I asked and she nodded. She was watching the news and I sighed. I knew what the news would have to say that is why I didn't even bother opening it.

'Wanda, you can't blame yourself for it.' I said as I sat beside her on her bed.

'Why can't I? It was my fault.' She said.

'Then, should I blame myself that I couldn't help you? If you hadn't been there, Steve would've died.' I said. She ignored me and was still engrossed in the news. I sighed and decided to see what they were saying.

'They are operating outside and above the international law. Why do the people who have done nothing have to pay for the crimes. What legal authority do enhanced individuals like Mia Williams and Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Niger-' The news was saying but got cut of my it being switched off. I turned around and saw Steve standing in the doorway.

'It's my fault.' Wanda said, I just looked down at my hands. Wasn't it my fault that I didn't try to help? I asked myself.

'That's not true.'

'Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific.' Wanda said. 

'I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said Bucky and... All of a sudden, I was a 16 year old kid in Brooklyn again.' he said, sitting on the other side of Wanda. 

'People died. It's on me.' he said.

'It's on all of us.' I said. 

'This job. We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, then maybe next time nobody gets saved.' Steve said. Suddenly, someone walked through the wall and I saw Vision.

'Vis, we talked about this.' Wanda said.

'Yes, but the door was open, so I assumed that...' Vision said but trailed off.

'Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving.' 

'Thank you. We'll be right down.' Steve said.

'I'll use the door.' Vision said awkwardly. 

'Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest.' Vision said.

'Do we know who it is?' I asked. 

'The Secretary Of State.' Vision said and I nodded. I went to the meeting room and sat on my seat in the back, behind Steve, across Sam.

'Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery, and a triple bypass. I found something 40 years in the Army never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes.'' He said.

'And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?' Nat asked.

'How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign boundaries and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind.' he said and turned the monitor in front of us. 

'New York.' He said and showed us a video of the Hulk crashing everything. Rhodey looked at Steve and Nat.

'Washington D.C.' He said and a video of the three hellicarriers falling down was shown. This caused Sam to look down.

'Sokovia.' He said and the city was flying with buildings falling down everywhere. 

'Lagos.' People were on stretchers. This caused Wanda to look away in guilt.

'Okay, that's enough.' Steve said, looking at Wanda's reaction. Ross nodded and shut it off. 

'For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That is an arrangement the governments of the world can not longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution.' he said, taking a thick book from the guard and placing it in front of Wanda.

'The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. it states that the Avengers will no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they will operate under the United nations panel. Only when and if that panel deems that necessary.'

'The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that.' Steve spoke up.

'Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'll be consequences.'

'Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground.' He said. 

'So, there are contingencies.' Rhodey said. 

'Three days from now. The UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords.' Ross said and I furrowed my eyebrows. Steve turned around and looked at Tony who didn't meet his gaze.

'We'll talk it over.' Steve said. Ross started to walk away.

'And what if we come to a decision you don't like?' I asked.

'You retire.' he said. 

'Aren't I a little too young to be retired?' I asked.

'You're too young to be a double agent but here we are.' He said and walked away. I just glared at him, my eyes burning at the back of his head. I just stood up and walked away. After taking a few minutes to calm down, I went back in the meeting room and everyone was discussing about the Accords.

'Secretary Ross had a congressional medal of honour, which is one more than you have.' Rhodey said to Sam.

'So let's say we agree to this thing. How long before they low-jack us like a bunch of common criminals.'

'177 countries want to sign this. 117 Sam, and you're just like. No that's cool. We got it.' Rhodey said. Steve was sitting and reading through the book. I decided to sit behind him so I could read it as well.

'How long are you going to play both sides?' Sam asked.

-X-X-X-X-X-

Word Count: 1065 Words