PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

"Welcome back, KM." My twin brother greeted me as I step out of the car. I smiled and ran to him, I hugged him tightly.

"I missed you MK, I really did." I said. He  chuckled and hugged me back.

Something was wrong with that little laugh of his. Kumalas ako sa yakap at tinignan s'ya sa mata. There was mixed emotions, but two emotions I can define.

"Fear and sadness." I said it out loud. "Tell me... What is happening?" His smile faded, he looked at me seriously, tears started building up in his eyes.

"K-kyla..." His tears dropped as he said my name. My heart softened as I saw him like that. My heart ached as I saw my twin brother acting like that.

"Tell me what's wrong, Matthew." I softly said.

"They're gone." He cried in front of me which he never did before.

"Who? Matthew, naguguluhan ako. Sino? Nawala ba? Namatay ba? Linawin mo, Matthew." He hugged me tightly and cried harder.

"Mom and dad... They're dead.." Para bang pinupukpok ng martilyo ang puso ko hanggang sa mabasag ito. I stood there frozen, thinking about what he just said.

"W-what..." I whispered. Kumalas s'ya sa yakap at pinunasan ang kanyang mga luha. "H-how... No, wait, you're just kidding me haha, is there any surprise? Come on s-stop acting now." I pushed him aside and entered the house to see if there's any surprises he prepared.

My heart dropped as I saw nothing.

"Kyla... They're dead. This isn't a joke, t-they died in a car accident... On the way back..." He whispered his last phrase which made me angry.

"Louder." Maikling sambit ko.

"They died, on a car accident, on the way back... From thinking t-that... You'll be in the airport and ready to go home." Nanlaki ang mata ko dahil doon.

"I-it's my fault..."

"Kyla, no... It's not your fault, this is no one's fault." Lumapit s'ya sa akin at hinawakan ako sa dalawang balikat. "This is a mistake."

"They died... because I wasn't t-there... They died... because of a broken hea-"

"This isn't your fault, Kyla! Do you think that they would want to see us like this?! Regretting what happened?!" Napatingin ako sa mata n'ya, there were anger and sadness. "Natatandaan mo pa ba nung bata pa tayo, mom always said to forget the past. They died and that's in the past! Let's focus on what we're gonna do---"

"Do you really think that it's easy to forget what just happened?" I said, I looked at him directly. "Just because mom said that, it doesn't mean it's easy! Our parents died, Matthew, our parents! Tell me, gano'n ba kadali to move forward when someone special to you died?!"

My tears dropped. He stayed silent.

"It takes time.. It takes time to heal, to forget. But... why does it seems so easy to you?" My voice softened as my heart started to beat faster. Let out a heavy sigh to calm myself.

'I-it's true, mom and dad never wanted us to think about the past. If someone died, mom said to move on and do what the deceased want us to do. Even if this breaks our heart, even if this wasted tears... We have to look forward.'

"Tell me, what did they want?" Napatingin sa akin si Matthew. Sinenyasan n'ya ako na maupo and so I did.

"Is it okay to you now?" Tinanong n'ya ako pag-upo n'ya. I nodded. "We can't inherit what they left without getting married. One of us, have to get married to get what they left. Nasa bank nilang dalawa ang lahat ng kayamanan natin, only 1/8 is left to us." He explained.

"That 1/8 isn't enough for the three of us to live. Where's Kylie, by the way?" Pagtukoy ko sa pinakabata naming kapatid.

"He's in school. We need to work our asses off to live, and find someone we can marry so we can get what they left." Kumunot ang noo ko nang sabihin n'ya yon.

"So, you're saying that we have to find someone we can use just for mone---"

"Yes. Let's set that aside. Do you want to work with me on our company or you'll find another job?" I stared at him.

If I work with him, it'll be a hassle. But if I find my own job...

"I'll find my own." Maikling sambit ko. He smiled in assurance.

"It's decided then, they would love to watch us helping each other." I smiled sadly.

"Where do you study?" Tanong ko. "I'll enroll."

Tumango lang s'ya at iniwan ako mag-isa sa sala.

Oh, god... Where am I gonna work? Wait.. me? Working? That's something that I've never done before.