18| Ruby

Yeosang's thoughts are tied to his mind while his mouth is strapped with strings that only allow him to breathe the outermost necessary air he will need. At least, that is how he feels in the knights' stables, where he stands at the given time. His fingers shake when he lifts them to buckle another strap on the saddle around Harmony. His throat burns from every inhalation, and he bites himself in the cheek to keep his nervosity from breaking out under his skin. His mind already stands in the middle of war.

About a few meters from the stall, he sees Yunho coming by, his hands are filled with equipment, but he notices Yeosang anyway.

"So, are you excited?" the stable worker asks him from afar, his eyes not leaving the living animal he situates the equipment on.

"No, far from that.. why does everyone expect me to be that..." the boy whispers to himself as his hand goes across his horse's neck while trying to ignore the high pressure that lays on his shoulders.

For the time after San has introduced him to Yunho and Mingi, he has seen them almost every time he has entered the stables, and therefore small conversations with both stable workers have become normal for him.

"Hm?" Yunho hums when the answer from Yeosang does not seem to be loud enough for him to hear. The tall guy turns his head in Yeosang's direction yet another time, eyes looking at him rather attentively, before he chooses to say something else.

"Don't be so nervous Yeosang, I know of the hours you have spent on your training, and those will surely show their worth at some point. Trust me."

The boy stares at him while he carefully goes through each of the stable worker's wordings, and he slowly replies, "How come you are so sure?"

He sees how Yunho darts his eyes away for a short moment before he bends to fasten the harness around the brown horse he stands with. His long hands are quick while they work with the buckles, showing off years of experience. Yeosang can only stand and wait as he has finished tethering his horse's equipment, and he lets his hand run through Harmony's long, black mane. Then he hears the stall door from the other horse close, and Yeosang turns his head to see how the tall man now stands by Harmony's stall, looking down at the boy with a somewhat grim smile that he never has seen him with before.

"When I came here to the fortress, I was brought in training just exactly as you were. Be glad that your guidance counselors at least had a little respect for you, mine was Park Xalvador, and he didn't mind me even the slightest," Yunho says, a dry chuckle coming from him as his eyes hold memories of struggles," I despised him deeply, but still, when I finally took part in one of the crusades.." he inhales between his words, "I can never thank him enough for what he managed to teach me. It saved my life."

Yunho reaches for Yeosang's shoulder and gently squeezes it as he tells him his last words, "Just remember to restrain your eyes from glancing into the depth of the dark, then you shall do good. I trust you to return safely."

He hopes Yunho is right, for his strong belief has the boy trusting it to the point where he nods his head agreeing and Yunho pulls his arm to his body again with a broad smile.

"Good luck," he tells him before he leaves the stable for other duties than helping knights with their destriers. His footsteps are not to be heard among the noises of horses and men, and Yeosang only sees him disappear with his eyes.

From the other end of the stables, a yell storms through the building, and suddenly everyone rushes out with their horses, making panic flare in the boy. His hands clamp around the reins as he waits for room to be cleared for him to follow the magnificent group of knights. Hoofs clatter against the stone floor, and continue outdoors, where the cloud-full sky greets them all. Yeosang's eyes are wide while he struggles with Harmony to keep his nose from smelling the other horses that stall close to them. Looking around over his shoulders he watches how the other knights ascend their horses, and he hurries to do the same.