eight

♤ NARDO ♤

"You got a pep in ya step today." Maia commented watching as Horace spun Juju around like a airplane.

He threw his nephew in the air, the little boy laughing hard each time he came back down.

"I do?"He shrugged with a small smile."Ion know the sun shinin' a-lot more lately so that could be it."

"The sun is shinin'?"Her face scrunched up,"Who the hell are you and what have you done with my lil brother?"

"A nigga can't just be happy?"

"No offense but you ain't ever been naturally happy."

"Go to hell."

"There go the Nardo, I know." She laughed at him rolling his eyes, standing up. "I'm bout go to the store with JuJu."

"I can come with, help you with the groceries." At his genuine smile, Maia's eyes darted back and forth then over her brother.

"Ight now you really scaring me." He pushed her ahead, grabbing the keys off of the table.

"Getchu' silly ass to the car."

****

Scanning over the dairy aisle for milk, Horace picked up a carton looking at it slightly confused.

"Oat milk?"He raised an eyebrow,"What's wrong with regular cow milk?"

"You know what they do with that?"

"No, and Ion want too."He gave Maia a stern look. "Niggas always tryna ruin shit with facts let me stay ignorant."

His sister shook her head taking the list from his hands to glance at it.

"Just watch Ju while I go get us some fruits."

"I gotchu'." He kept an eye on his nephew, his phone then beginning to ring.

"Hello?"

"Whatchu' doin'?" He heard Kentrell ask him, his head thrown back on the bed.

It hadn't been a day that passed by when they didn't call or text even when they knew they were going to see the other later.

"At the store with my sister."

"You still comin' over later?"

"Yeah, you tryna change plans?"

"Nah, just checkin' in."

"You miss me or somethin'?" Nardo teased then getting distracted by Julian reaching for a big dangerous can.

"Yeah, I miss you." Kentrell said without realizing, his eyes widening.

"Huh?"Nardo asked twice,"I ain't catch what you said?

"Nothin' important."

"You sure?"He turned his head around for a second to grab another thing on the list, not paying attention to the little boy climbing his butt out of the cart.

"Yeah, don't worry about it."

"Why Ion believe you-" He could suddenly hear Horace fussing a mile a minute."Trell, I'ma see you later this lil nigga done lost his rabbit ass mind."

"Ight." As the phone hung up, he began to focus on the way his heart was thumping in his chest.

'Why the fuck I say that?'