Chapter 11 - Encore

Dear Mr and Mrs Williams,

I have researched Narcissus and have thoroughly enjoyed learning more about him. Hopefully I will learn more about him in my classes. It seems he has rejected Echo, but I cannot wait for Nemesis to get revenge on him.

How are things on your end? How is little Marian? She must have grown so much since I last saw her.

I hope you're all well and safe.

I'll come home when I can.

Love Y/N

(Before she got home and wrote the letter)

The walk back to the house wasn't awkward as I had suspected it would be. Instead, it was filled with Anthony attempting to goad Rebekah into racing against him and my aunt jokingly scolding him which furthered Rebekah to the point when she agreed to compete. They lined up at a tree, each of them making sure the others' feet were behind the imaginary line, and at the count of three, they sped off down the path, bounding over tree roots and twigs.

I was too busy watching my cousins to notice that my aunt was talking to me, but she finally got my attention when she prodded my shoulder, forcing me back to reality. "Hey, you alright Y/N? You looked like you were in a world of your own."

"Sorry, I was just watching them. I'm sorry. What were you saying?"

"I asked if you enjoyed the service this morning."

"Oh, it was fine."

"Right, except for that weird little moment with those chicken livers, man that was odd." She scoffed; her eyes contained disbelief though I was already used to Prestons' theatrics.

"Yeah, that was a little strange. Especially with that whole speech about the food. I get the message but he was a little harsh, don't you think?"

"I agree with you Y/N. That was mean of him." She hoisted Annette a little higher in her arms and smiled again. "But, he's here now."

Well, not for long, I hope. I thought, hoping that I could dispatch him quick enough. "I suppose so."

Our talk was interrupted by a loud whinging noise, originating from the twins. "Mom, Rebekah cheated, she pushed into me." Anthony whined loudly, pointing at his sister. My aunt handed Annette to me and speed-walked over, tutting loudly.

"Nuh-uh, you tried to trip me over. Cheater." She pouted and folded her arms. It was an attempt to be mad but it ended up being adorable.

"Mom, she called me a name!"

Margaret crouched down so she was at their level and looked at them directly. "Anthony, Rebekah, behave please. Don't have a race if you can't play fairly."

The twins sulked off, huffing loudly and frowning. My aunt just shook her head at them, rolling her eyes with them. "They're a blessing, I promise." She warns me, chuckling at her remark. I joined her briefly but went back to the comfortable silence from before. "I saw you talking to that Russell boy, Arvin?"

"Yeah, I see him when he picks Lenora up from school."

"He's a good boy." I could tell she was stepping lightly around the subject, skirting around it like a skater.

"What do you really want to say Aunt?" I asked, holding Annette tighter in my arms, but unable to conceal the blush that crept onto my cheeks.

"I'm saying you look quite smitten with each other." I sighed, shaking my head at the baby in my arms before handing her back to her mother. "And it's not the worst thing in the world for you to have a boyfriend."