Chapter 9 - Coincidences

Y/N's POV

Sunday morning. Today was the day. I'd be seeing the preacher for the first time in almost a year. Finally, avenging Eliza seemed so close. I wondered if the preacher would remember me, remember her at all. If he doesn't then I will make sure that I'm the last thing he sees before he takes his final breath.

I remember getting up really early on the morning and making sure that I looked ready for battle. I had to be ready to face him again. I couldn't be scared, he had to pay for his actions and my fear couldn't get in the way with that. I wasn't scared of killing him, but it was rather the consequences that scared me. There was an incredibly slim chance that I could get away with it, but things like murder are likely to catch up to you. Prison wasn't an option I wanted to consider, if it was, I'd get the death penalty but at least my life won't have been wasted, other girls will be saved from the trauma of ever being with Preston Teagardin.

In some ways, I hoped he remembered me. Then it would mean so much more if I reminded him of what he had done. A walking reminder of his time in Jackson, other than his child Marian. I wanted him to be scared of me, to remember that I hold so much power over him, and at any minute, I could reveal anything I liked about the corrupt preacher. I liked to imagine that I owned the box and key that kept his secrets locked away and I had the power to unlock it at any time. His very own Pandora's box, and one entirely of his own making.

I woke up early to hear my Aunt dressing the twins in their Sunday clothes. I got up from my bed and crept to my closet. I picked out my favourite dress. It was a dress Eliza had given me for my fifteenth birthday. It was a black and white polka dot dress with a shirt collar. I bought her the red and white version, and she was so pleased that we matched that she made me wear it all the time. I wanted to make her happy, so I complied with her, especially after everything she did for me.

As I snuck down the stairs, I heard the twins fussing over their hair. "Why do I have to wear these clothes? Why can't I just wear my jeans and shirt?" Anthony whined.

"Because you have to look presentable. There's a new preacher in town while Reverend Sykes is away getting better." My aunt wiped my cousins face, like she was polishing a statue, thought it very much was a moving statue, one that couldn't stay still.

"Come on Anthony, its only for an hour or so." I told him, trying to compromise with him.

"Y/N, you don't get it. It's so itchy, it feels like I'm covered in ants."

"Anthony, if you stop whining about your clothes, then I'll get you some donuts from the diner tomorrow. Deal?" I stuck my hand out, waiting for him to agree and shake my hand.

He thought about it for a minute, his face showing his thoughts, but he finally looked over at Rebekah and she shrugged, "Fine, but I want a Jelly donut."

"You got a deal little mister." I wanted to ruffle his hair, but I knew it would annoy him because it meant his mother would have to fix it again.

"There's still like three hours before church." Anthony whined, huffing and pouting.

"Your Mom probably just wants you to be ready for then." I sympathised with him. Church wasn't always the most entertaining of places to be, and with clothes like these, it sure wasn't comfy.

"Hopefully the preacher they're sending is better than the other replacement ones. The other one was just weird." Anthony said casually, dropping it into the conversation.

"What do you mean?" I asked, curious about the history of preachers in Coal creek.

"Anthony, what are you telling your cousin about?" My Aunt came around the corner, sticking her head out to see what her son was doing.