"Okay, now I am scared." Jasper said to Harry as the first years walked into the Great Hall, he was so nervous that he didn't notice anything in the room that all the other first years were marvelling at. "What if - what if I don't get sorted, what if they say I don't belong here, or-"

Harry stopped him before he went on. "Don't worry Jasper, you do belong here, every person who received their Hogwarts letter does."

Jasper started, "But-"

Suddenly there was singing.

Jasper turned to see a hat singing.

"What the bloody hell?" Jasper said.

"That is how you'll get sorted." Whispered Harry.

"A hat?"

"Shhhh.' Harry said. "Listen." He signalled to the hat.

You'll meet more magic folk your age, and make lots of friends

Everyone here is here because they've earned their spot-

"See." Harry nudged Jasper.

Within the walls of Hogwarts blood status prejudice ends-

"Well that is good news." Jasper whispered to Harry remembering the discussion they had on the train.

Harry nodded, but he looked over at the Slytherin table who were all sneering. He doubted it did.

For here you are all welcome but the old debate is not

The debate has already torn Hogwarts school asunder

Which is why I must split you up - Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin -

So let's find out so that you must no longer wonder

Which house of the four will be the one you will belong in

Will it be Gryffindor where dwell the mighty brave?

Harry noticed a boy with black messy hair, and glasses hopped up at this.

Gryffindor is coragueus yes, but hardly ever behave

Maybe you'll be in Slytherin who seek power, and fame

For beware they do not care who they hurt in the game...

Or perhaps the Ravenclaw house will help you to learn

In them is a mighty thirst for knowledge that will forever burn

That could be me. Jasper thought. He did want to learn everything about the Wizarding World.

Then there's Hufflepuff the kindest hardest working of the lot-

They'll take you in no matter what, accept you even if the other houses do not

Jasper had hope at this, if he didn't fit into any of the other houses, then at least he knew he had a place somewhere in the school. The Hufflepuff house sounded really nice.

-to get back to my year-long nap!

Everyone in the Great Hall started to clap, the sounds echoing off the walls of the room. Jasper clapped excitedly, jumping up, and down, a talking hat! That was so cool!

And then Professor McGonagall opened a scroll, and started to read off names, and one by one students started to get sorted.

"Black, Sirius!" She called.

He went up to the stool, and the hat seemed to think for a while.

I mean it was obvious what house he was going to end up in, all the Blacks went to Slytherin house. Harry thought. The rest of the hall was thinking that as well.