vii › reminiscing about our old days.

lots of dialogue this chapter. <3

the trek back to his apartment was quiet, for the most part

the trek back to his apartment was quiet, for the most part. the first snow of the year had already finished falling. it had been short, and barely left a few dirty clumps of slush on the ground.

the biggest hazard was avoiding the icy spots on the cement, though hyunjin didn't seem to care if he stepped in them or not.

he walked with quick, angry steps, and chris attempted to catch up to his friend.

hyunjin's breaths were short bursts of mist in the stinging cold air, but he was so angry he didn't even feel the low temperature.

chris was finally able to catch up while hyunjin struggled to open the door to his apartment. "sammy, c'mon. don't be mad at me. please?"

"i can't believe you told them," hyunjin huffed, letting go of the stubborn knob as he recalled the embarrassing night he had just lived. "i don't even know any of them!! and worse, you asked them to bring their single friends for me."

chris pleaded, "can't you see the bright side? i was trying to help you! ah, sammy! don't be mad at me!"

hyunjin pursed his lips together, considering things from chris' point of view.

perhaps his friend's plan, though stupid and ill-advised, really had had the best intentions. perhaps he shouldn't consider ripping up chris' painting into shreds.

"i'm going back."

chris' eyes widened with panic. "'back'? b-back... to him?"

"back to my hometown," hyunjin explained. "i'm going to visit my parents."

chris seemed to relax at that, until hyunjin continued.

"and maybe i'll talk to jisung while i'm there."

shaking his head vigorously, chris argued, "sammy, i don't think that's a good idea. wasn't... didn't jisung break up with you? m-maybe... maybe you should wait. give him space?"

hyunjin planted his feet. "i'm going, christopher. and there's nothing you can tell me to convince me otherwise. i'm going to visit my parents, and while i'm there i can... wander up to jisung's apartment and ask if we can talk things out."

he jiggled the key in the doorknob a bit as he continued thinking.

"we didn't really get to do that, before, when we broke up. i just listened to him and packed up all my stuff," hyunjin mumbled, remembering.

with a forlorn sigh, he opened the door and closed it behind himself, shutting chris out.

hyunjin held out the envelope to jisung, and said in a shaky voice, "i-it's... it's the art program..."

jisung lightly touched the envelope and made eye contact with hyunjin. "do you want me to open it?"

nodding, hyunjin deliberately placed the envelope in jisung's hands, leaning back against the countertop in an attempt to hide his nervousness.

jisung sat down at the makeshift folding table they ate on, ripping open the envelope. he carelessly shook it, causing several folded pieces of paper to fall out.

grabbing the thickest one, jisung read over it silently, eyes widening more and more with each line. this caused hyunjin's nerves to escalate wildly, and he began leaning forward more as time went on.

he ended up going over to jisung and leaning onto his shoulder to read, clutching his arm in anxiousness.

jisung finally admitted, "i have no clue what this says."

hyunjin gasped as he read the line that conveyed his acceptance into the university's art program. "sungie, they accepted me. they accepted me!!"

"what?! of course they did hyun, you're an amazing artist; they would be stupid not to accept you," jisung screamed and latched onto hyunjin's torso, getting up to jump in place with him.

hyunjin was still repeating, "i got in, sungie, i got in!!" happy tears filled the blond's eyes as he celebrated this new achievement.

they danced together in jisung's apartment, something that caused kkami to jump up and run wide circles around them, somehow avoiding their stomping feet.

jisung suddenly clutched hyunjin's face and pulled him in close for a kiss, keeping their bodies close together.

it didn't seem like it then, but his acceptance into the program was only the start of the end for them.

PLS i was trying to take a holiday hiatus but i love this book sm i had to publish. <3