Plot vs Sypnosis

©editorsandy.

*Plot Outline vs. Synopsis*

*Question: what is the difference between a plot outline and a synopsis?*

*Answer:* You may find some people use these terms interchangeably. However, a plot outline is something you create before you write your novel. You then use it as a guide during the writing process to help you remember how you want the story to unfold. Writers who rely on plot outlines are sometimes called "plotters," because they plan their novels in advance (which does cut down on the amount of rewriting that must be done to create a good second draft).

A synopsis is a summary of your novel which you may be asked to give an agent or publisher as part of your proposal. Synopsis are written after you have finished writing your manuscript. That's partially to reflect any changes you made to the story during the writing process, and because some people (pantsers) don't make plot outlines, preferring to make up the story as they go along.

(Of course, the downside to pantsing is that you risk getting stuck partway through your story, with no idea where to go next. Also, your first draft may need a lot more rewriting.)

Plot outlines can also be much longer than synopsis. For example, an agent may ask for a synopsis no longer than two to five pages - just enough for them to see you can write a coherent plot. On the other hand, a plot outline can be as short as one paragraph or longer than a hundred pages, if you include detailed character sketches and background material.

Regardless your preference, our advice on synopsis writing can also be used to help you prepare a plot outline.

*Setting* The setting of a story is the location where a story takes place. This setting can be anywhere; it could be your home, school, or a magical kingdom far away. Every story has a setting. For example, the Little Red Riding Hood story is set in a village near a forest.

*Blurb* The blurb will focus on the highlights and, most importantly, the hook or the selling points of your book. ... Only a few primary characters and plot points will be given attention in the blurb. A synopsis (usually requested with more materials) is a much more detailed description of the book.